• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

I don't know if you saw the single rack i made to carry 1- 5 gal gas can.It might work for you or anyone who does not want to mar out side of camper,as it mounts using jack bracket and bottom of camper,easy to remove or mount with 4 bolts....

Les, lqhkers

I did see that and I practically stared a whole in your pictures to see if that would work for me too. Unfortunately, I don't have the jack brackets. I think it may be worth adding one to try your solution. I also liked your idea of adding another receiver tube to the receiver hitch and making a slide in basket-carrier. Actually, I like all of your creative touches.

Les, if you and Marc and any other members are ever planning to be in my neck of the woods, please let me know. I'd love to try and catch up, so I could oogle your set-ups, warm my feet by your fire and trade tales of the trails.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#32 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

More Montana -

After my time in Polebridge, where a new friend basically took me like a dishrag and wrung out all of the negative energy I've been filled with and then soaked me up with positive thoughts, feelings and energy, it seemed like it was time to move on and see what other unexpected gifts this trip had to offer. I didn't want to leave but I didn't want to miss out on another opportunity for a surreal experience.

I've somewhat recapped my route in a previous post so I'll just mention some impressions from my trip south, back to Wyoming -
  • On 8/20 I found a great campsite on Lake Koocanusa, north of Libby, MT. Clear, crisp water, the loons were calling (and I keep thinking Katherine Hepburn is right behind me. "It's me, you old poop!"), the trout were jumping at dusk and a warm breeze joined me for the evening. Don't get too excited, but after dark I even went for a quick naked swim in complete defiance of my inhabitions. As I splashed around, looking up at the stars, letting a lot of inner crappola float away and completely soaking up the experience (and dealing with shrinkage....****ing glacier water...) I could only think how proud my new friends in Polebridge would be to see me so relaxed and not trying to make sense of everything
  • Paid $3.46 for a large chocolate shake in Sandpoint, Idaho. When I asked if I had been accidently charged for 2 milkshakes, I was told the amount was correct. I asked if there was a milk shortage or a shake shortage or a foreign war with cows for milk, but all I received was a blank stare. When I explained that I could get a gallon of 91 octane gasoline next door for only $3.35, the hapless counter wench simply said, "Oh. But we don't sell gas." Unreal. In an attempt at being discreet, I won't mention the name of the restaurant, I just took my McFleecing and got the McHell out of there
  • Obviously many of our west coast members are familiar with huge fires and what the smoke does to the sky. For the mid-west folks, the sky looks like a huge dust storm has just blown through and the east coasters would think it similar to when a big factory is on fire. Occaisionally a blood red dot will peak through the smoke. This is cool for about 10 minutes. After that you start to feel like you're driving on faith with a blindfold on. It also makes everywhere really, really hot which I'm not into
  • The postmaster in tiny Wisdom, MT has no arms below his elbows. This gave me reason to pause when I needed postcard stamps because it seemed like it was going to be an effort just to mail something. He did wear a unique looking set of prosthetic arms, including one that looked like it had a pintle hook on the end. He capably provided me with my 2 stamps and change, then as if reading my mind (or more likely, having seen the look on my face a hundred times before) he stated, "Yup, I can do anything with these that a normal man can do." He paused and then added under his breath with a snort, "Except spank the monkey like I used to!" I thought about asking how that worked out for him, but he was still grinning from his joke and I didn't want to kill the obvious highlight of his day, shocking a tourist. So I left, content with the thought that somewhere out in this vast country, there is at least one government employee who was actually working instead of jerking off
  • You have to love a western town like Ennis. They have a greeting sign when you arrive that reads, "Welcome to Ennis! Population 600 - Trout 11,000" This is a good place to spend some time
  • Why do campgrounds have Men & Women's vault toilets? Is there something special in the women's outhouse not offered to men? Seat liners, feminine products, gas masks? Before I finish this trip I'll work up the courage to ask a ranger or peek in one for myself
On the side of the road, near the town of West Yellowstone, I met Dan. Dan is a vagabond carpenter living out of his custom '84 Toyota truck and camper with his big *** German Sheppard, Rugun. He referred to himself as homeless (which I won't because I think it has a negative connotation) and has been living out of his truck for 6 years. I stopped because the camper and snorkel caught my eye as I passed but it had the hood up. The truck looked like a well outfitted old school rig. This was one interaction I was going to force. Two hours later I had completely checked out this truck and got an unintentional lesson on living life so close, or far depending on your perspective, to the edge.

Wired and wirey Dan had from a distance, this cobbled looking truck made of a homemade steel camper body, homemade bumpers and homemade snorkel. But in the ultimate proof of "it's what's underneath that counts", this thing had the most tricked out 22R and engine bay I've seen. Thousands and thousands of dollars of Downey and LC Engineering upgrades, a custom air and fuel system, I mean the thing was unbelievable! All the parts and ARB compressor were powdercoated black and complimented with red finishes, plus stainless steel lines and hoses. The suspension was all AOR springs & shackles, Bilstein 7100 remote resevoir shocks, u bolts flipped, diff cages, etc. Dan spends a lot of his off time in Moab, living and rolling. His truck and his dog are his life and he's not asking for anymore than that. Very interesting guy and after a two hour discussion left me with, "I'm 53, never been married, no kids and no home. I am spiritual and I do a good job for people. I don't have much and probably never will. I just think we should all go through life with grace."

I swear I can't make this **** up.

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#33 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

For this portion of the trip, I'm pasting in comments and thoughts from my journal at the time. This leg covers my journey south, from Glacier NP back Yellowstone NP. Random, real time thoughts as I reflected on my trip so far and my introduction to Dan. - KC

"The injustice of travel is having to chose to stay or go."
- read on an Outhouse wall in Polebridge

After my time in Polebridge, it seemed like it was time to move on and see what other unexpected gifts this trip had to offer. I didn't want to leave but I didn't want to miss out on another opportunity for a surreal experience.
  • On 8/20 I found a great campsite on Lake Koocanusa, north of Libby, MT. Clear, crisp water, the loons were calling (and I keep thinking Katherine Hepburn is right behind me. "It's me, you old poop!"), the trout were jumping at dusk and a warm breeze joined me for the evening. Don't get too excited, but after dark I even went for a quick naked swim in complete defiance of my inhibitions. As I splashed around, looking up at the stars, letting a lot of inner crappola float away and completely soaking up the experience (and dealing with shrinkage....freakin' glacier water...) I could only think how proud my new friends in Polebridge would be to see me so relaxed and not trying to make sense of everything
  • I paid $3.46 for a large chocolate milkshake in Sandpoint, Idaho. When I asked if I had been accidentally charged for 2 milkshakes, I was told the amount was correct. I asked if there was a milk shortage or a shake shortage or a foreign war with cows for milk, but all I received was a blank stare. When I explained that I could get a gallon of 91 octane gasoline next door for only $3.35, the hapless counter wench simply said, "Oh. But we don't sell gas." Unreal. In an attempt at being discreet, I won't mention the name of the restaurant, I just took my McFleecing and got the McHell out of there
  • The truck and camper are performing very well. I have 3 screws on the galley faceplate that shake loose after time on washboard roads. I have far more loose screws in my own head, so I tend not to worry about these too much
  • You could make a lot of money in Montana, if you sold Subaru Outback Wagons or fly fishing vests
  • The postmaster in tiny Wisdom, MT has no arms below his elbows. This gave me reason to pause when I needed postcard stamps because it seemed like it was going to be an effort just to mail something. He did wear a unique looking set of prosthetic arms, including one that looked like it had a pintle hook on the end. He capably provided me with my 2 stamps and change, then as if reading my mind (or more likely, having seen the look on my face a hundred times before) he stated, "Yup, I can do anything with these that a normal man can do." He paused and then added under his breath with a snort, "Except spank the monkey like I used to!" I thought about asking how that worked out for him, but he was still grinning from his joke and I didn't really want to know anyway. So I left, content with the thought that somewhere out in this vast country, there is at least one government employee who was actually working instead of jerking off
  • You have to love a western town like Ennis. They have a greeting sign when you arrive that reads, "Welcome to Ennis! Population 600 - Trout 11,000" This is a good place to spend some time
  • Why do campgrounds have Men & Women's vault toilets? Is there something special in the women's outhouse not offered to men? Seat liners, feminine products, gas masks? Before I finish this trip I'll work up the courage to ask a ranger or peek in one for myself
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#34 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Part II -

On the side of the road, near the town of West Yellowstone, I met Dan. Dan is a vagabond carpenter living out of his custom '84 Toyota truck and camper with his big German Sheppard, Rugun. He referred to himself as homeless (which I won't because I think it has a negative connotation) and has been living out of his truck for 6 years. I stopped because the camper and snorkel caught my eye as I passed but it had the hood up. The truck looked like a well outfitted old school rig. This was one interaction I was going to force. Two hours later I had completely checked out this truck and got an unintentional lesson on living life so close, or far depending on your perspective, to the edge.

Wired and wirey Dan had from a distance, this cobbled looking truck made of a homemade steel camper body, homemade bumpers and homemade snorkel. But in the ultimate proof of "it's what's underneath that counts", this thing had the most tricked out 22R and engine bay I've seen. Thousands and thousands of dollars of top of the line Downey and LC Engineering upgrades, a custom air and fuel system, I mean the thing was unbelievable! All the parts and ARB compressor were powdercoated black and complimented with red finishes, plus stainless steel lines and hoses. The suspension was all AOR springs & shackles, Bilstein 7100 remote reservoir shocks, u bolts flipped, diff cages, etc.

Dan spends a lot of his off time in Moab, living and rolling. His truck and his dog are his life and he's not asking for anymore than that. Very interesting guy and after a two hour discussion left me with, "I'm 53, never been married, no kids and no home. I am spiritual and I do a good job for people. I don't have much and probably never will. I just think we should all go through life with grace."

I swear I can't make this stuff up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#35 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I apologize, KC...

I have been so wrapped up with enjoying your prose and photos that I forgot all about dropping a little note of appreciation.

But now, please continue! This is great stuff!

#36 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

kc, great updates! i love wisdom! i'll be there tomorrow briefly on our way to lost trail for the rest of the week, camping in the parking lot, hot springs, where ever! that is so ironic that you have met dan, him and i have crossed many paths, many times, most recently at the bozeman public library...he loves the fwc and i too get in long conversations with him every time we meet...his rig is sweet! well built, simple, stout. i actually gave him one of the atc business cards the last time i saw him, i thought he said he was thinking about getting rid of his topper and upgrading (whatever that means), interesting dude...anyway, great posts, thanks again!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#37 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

...that is so ironic that you have meet dan, him and i have crossed many paths, many times, most recently at the bozeman public library...he loves the fwc and i too get in long conversations with him every time we meet...

You have got to be kidding me.... I guess I shouldn't be too surprised because he told me he spends some time in Bozeman. But that's really cool you've met him too. And yeah, he geeks out for the FWC. He is a real character. Certainly one of the more interesting people I've met on the road.

We actually bumped into him again last year near Big Sky, where he was repairing some fencing on some huge ranch. It was good to see him again and doing so well.

That's just too cool erod. Has Claire met him? I don't think Mia believed me when I told her about him until we met up with him a second time. Something else for you and I to discuss whenever we get to a campfire....:cool:

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#38 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:59 AM

Small world. I saw Dan at the watering hole just outside Moab in Spring of 06.

Fantastic report KC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users