• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

Great pictures! made me dig out my maps to see how close we were 4 years ago when we rode the motorcycle though Yellowstone to Strugis S.D.WE spent 5 days going 1 day in Sturgis and 4 days going back to Idaho.!Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey" Les, lqhikers

#12 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

kcowyo,
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. What brand/kind of maps do you like to use on trips like this? Send more pictures.:thumb:

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#13 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:59 AM

I primarily used the Montana Gazetteer from DeLorme. I also have Topo USA 6.0 software installed on my laptop. I'm also fond of Topo & Recreation maps from GTR Mapping, so I always keep a few of those with me in the truck. I prefer the Gazetteer and paper maps over a GPS and following digital maps on a computer.

Someday I may be proficient enough with a GPS and mapping software to track these trips and record waypoints, etc. But for now, I still enjoy laying out my paper maps and seeing where I've been and where I want to go. Speaking of which.....

Bannack to Painted Rocks Reservoir...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#14 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

More....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#15 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:30 AM

I spent 2 days in Missoula with a friend. We hit a downtown music and micro-brew fest. Great music and food, lots of people. After 4 days by myself on the trail, it was nice to see people and buildings again. But after 2 days that got old, so I continued north towards Seeley Lake, Swan Lake and Hungry Horse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#16 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:46 AM

The town of Hungry Horse isn't much to look at. There's a few stores, some touristy stuff but most people just pass through on their way into Glacier National Park. I arrived on a Friday evening and I knew enough not to go into Glacier on a weekend in August. The crowds and traffic would be ridiculous.

So I spent the weekend driving the 100 mile loop around the Hungry Horse Reservoir just outside the east entrance to the park. What a stunning area. Tremendous views, beautiful water, tons of campsites and more potholes than the road into Baghdad. I enjoyed my quiet, peaceful weekend here just as much as I enjoyed the visit to Glacier NP.

Hungry Horse Reservoir -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....more still to come

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#17 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

kc,

Faaantastic. Your photos and descriptions are the best. I'm looking forward to rest of the report. Thanks for posting.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#18 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

KC, as always...AWESOME!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#19 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:15 AM

Following my weekend around the Hungry Horse Reservoir, I headed into the west entrance of Glacier National Park. There had been a large fire just days before on the east side of the park. Over 30,000 acres burned and many small fires were still smoldering in the area. Very smokey, couldn't see much.

I drove over the much vaunted Going to the Sun Road. The scenery was spectacular, even through the haze. The switchbacks and narrow road keeps you on your toes. The traffic keeps you moving as if in a herd. Due to the traffic, smoke and lack of waterfalls, I chose to move on rather quickly.

Leaving via the east entrance I cruised up the Chief Mountain Highway to within a few miles of Canada. I turned back south, visited the area called Many Glacier and sought out camp. The area was very isolated, even with the nearby park. I wound up driving back to the town of West Glacier and made camp close by.

My impressions of Glacier NP were similar to my first impressions of Yosemite NP. "Wow, this is beautiful. Now get me away from all of these people!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#20 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

A little discouraged by my visit to Glacier and with numerous fires burning nearby and in Idaho, I needed to find somewhere I could sit still for a few days and give the gas card a break. I was in nearly perfect country with huge mountains and plenty of lakes, I just needed to find a spot away from everyone where I could relax.

I began pouring over my maps looking for someplace. In the northwest corner of the park is a small village and two lakes. Bowman Lake, less than ten miles from the small village of Polebridge. And further up the road another 20 miles is Kintla Lake. Past that, Canada. To Polebridge was 30 miles of washboard hell at the end of the road. With no fires in the area I chose to head north to Polebridge and beyond, to Kintla Lake.

There wasn't much to speak of in the town. A few fishing cabins, a small Mercantile and a one room cabin named the Northern Lights Saloon. I passed through with little interest, headed for Kintla Lake. Stopping on the way to air down the tires or air up the airbags, I met Mike. Mike had a white Tundra and newish FWC Hawk. We talked for a few about campers and airbags. He suggested a campsite at the lake were he stayed at the night before.

Turns out my hunch was right. Getting to Kintla Lake was no easy task but it was worth every mile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users