• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

Who travels with a kayak or canoe on top of your FWC? Does it kill your mileage? I'm ordering the Hawk with the aluminum racks because they look shorter than the Yakima system and because I'll be able to mount my solar panel easier and install a outdoor shower stall based on something I saw someone else do with theirs. Besides that do you think it'd be better to haul a canoe or kayak(s) on an small trailer or on top of the FWC? I could redesign my M416 to carry a boat(s) more gear etc., but it seems like overkill and I worry about getting to places that don't allow trailers in the backcountry. Any thoughts? Thanks.
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

100 AHP,

I carry a Malibu two xl on my roof and it definately affects my mileage.. Can't tell you exactly how much, but it is something to consider..
Also, with the stock fwc rack, be careful mounting in the middle of the span... I have bent a set of the stock racks with my kayak.. Mounting over the "tower" could save you from this..

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

A number of folks carry either canoe or kayaks on their campers here.  We use the Yakima system (rear Hully-roller, front Mako saddles).    Our kayaks are 12' long and weigh ~50#.   I can load one by myself, but with two people it's a lot easier.  We have a small set of ladder steps for both access to camper and essential for roof loading of boats.

Mileage?  It's worse, but why focus on that? :)

If I was going to do several thousand miles to Baja and back I would look inflatibles to reduce our exposure to wind.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

How is it raising and lowering with the kayak on, or do you take it off at night? I recently got the hully roller / saddle setup and have a Wilderness Systyem's Ride which is about 70# but it hasn't been warm enough to try things out.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

How is it raising and lowering with the kayak on, or do you take it off at night? I recently got the hully roller / saddle setup and have a Wilderness Systyem's Ride which is about 70# but it hasn't been warm enough to try things out.

Charlie,

It's definitely heavier and more awkward!   Use the speaker crank lift if needed.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Its not bad with a light kayak, you do know its there though. I haven't really noticed much difference in mileage. 

IMAG0342_zpsd4a47630.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

This is my current setup which will change when I get my Hawk

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#8 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

I have a similar set up...Hully rollers and saddle for the yak.  I have a Jackson Kilroy.  About 12' long and 60 lbs.  I load to one one side. The other side carries a ski box loaded with lighter but awkward stuff - life jackets, paddles, fishing rods, waders and boots , yak wheels etc.  I use the speaker stand for both rear and front.  Takes me just a few minutes to lift up the top and is much easier on my back than trying to heave it alone.  I carry a small stepladder in the rear of the truck to access the roof, load the yak etc.   Don't really notice much of an effect on the mileage.

Jason

Edited by Ronanmd1, 05 January 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#9 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:04 AM

Mileage affect is probably a factor of how much an increase in your frontal area the kayaks represent, and how taxed your vehicle is before you load the boat.  On my Kia car kayaks reduce the mileage 8-12%, on my F350 6.0L with FWC the affect is negligible.

I used a trailer with my prior camper because I couldn't load boat onto the camper.  A trailer is a pain most times.  I've carried kayaks more times on my FWC in six months than I did in seven years with the trailer.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

We carry an aluminum canoe regularly on the Yakima rack. It weighs about 60 lbs. I haven't paid attention to the mileage impact- it is what it is, not huge. I imagine it depends a lot on the wind. I usually remove it from the rack before popping the top but with the lift struts it is not that hard to lift it up. With the top down, I can put it on the roof myself from the side using a step stool that we carry. One thing to keep in mind is clearance over the roof vents. It works with the Yakima rack. I don't know about the aluminum rack.

IMG_1098.jpg

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users