• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

I've been pondering this problem for a while as I plan on putting more weight on the roof and want to insure that lifting it remains a doable, solo job.

Installing a water tank up against the front of the camper this week and realized I won't be able to get directly under the lift panel, making the job tougher.

Jacks that are out there are meant to lift tons, not pounds. I want something lightweight, simple, and stowable.

Went out this morning and found what seems to be a solution for $20 on sale at Checker Auto. Short enough to sit on the water tank cabinet and lift the front, long enough to lift the back from the floor, it only weighs four and a half pounds. Also stows between the pillars behind the front seats of my extended cab Taco and may or may not keep my dog from the driver's seat when she's in the back.

It's a ratcheting cargo bar. It worked fine with the one solar panel that's on my roof now. Takes about two minutes. Don't know how much additional weight it can handle but it might be a solution for you, camelracer, and anyone else looking for some help popping the top.

Good luck and good times,

Donna

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0452.jpg

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

That would be interesting to try out. Do you think it will help to lower a loaded roof in a controlled fashion?

Marty or Ben have any opinions on this?

#3 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

marty here. i think it could be made into a roof up device easily enough but i would bet it is a one way ratchit. so up only would be my vote. i think i am going to get one to try it out. i am currently doing a grandby remodel, so it will be after that. i will let you know what i can do with that bar then.
marty

#4 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

i think on the west coast checker auto is called kragens

#5 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:15 AM

I have one of those bars for my truck and it is a one way ratchet to lengthen it. When you release it, it goes at once.
Jim

#6 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:03 AM

The cargo bar won't help with lowering the roof- it's built as a spreader only. While it would be great if it worked in both directions, I have a tougher time raising the roof than lowering it, and for this purpose the bar seems promising.

I'd be cautious about trusting it to lift much more weight than the add'l solar panel I plan on adding, as it's not built for this purpose. Even if it could handle more weight, what goes up must come down... unassisted!

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:08 AM

Bluefly,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try when I get back on my feet in a few months. I'm not concerned about lowering the top, that was never a problem. I had problems locking the end panels in place while trying to hold up the roof, especially in front.

#8 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

Don't know if this will help or not. This is the way that I have shown people how to raise the roof for years and even had a 74 year old lady who was able to do it with some practice.

When you first get in the camper sqat down at the back, keeping back straight and put hands on the push bar. Stand up lifting the roof as you do, once the roof is up all the way, take one hand and push the back panel to lock it. At this point the back panel is tight, do not try to pull it forward yet to wrap the strap around the knob.

Go to the front of the camper and sqat down a little, still keeping back straight, put left fore arm against the push board and start to stand up pushing on the roof. As soon as you start to lift the roof, take the pull/push handle with your right hand and push on it also as you stand pushing the roof still with your arm. Between pushing the push board and the handle at the same time the roof normally goes up smoothly in the front. When it reaches the top it should lock into place smoothly since you are still pushing on the handle and that locks it into place for you.

Now come back to the back panel and pull it out just a little to wrap the small strap around the knob. With the roof all the way up you will find the back panel is not as tight as when you have just the back of the camper lifted up.

Note here, you have to have the door open to lift the roof. The amount of air that is moved by lifting or lowering the roof will actually prevent you from either operation if you don't have the door open.

When lowering the roof, as long as you don't have a load on top of it, you can just grab the handle on the front panel and pull it towards you. You don't have to hold the roof while letting it down. You can just let it come down on it's own. Just remember to duck so you don't hit your head. Then you can do the same for the back of the camper, again, remember to duck down or the roof will remind you the hard way. Then grab the liner at about the middle point inside the camper and give a slight tug to make sure it is in. Then go out and poke the corners of the liner in and latch the roof down.

Don't know if this will help you or not. The ratchet system I would think would work just be careful about slipping off the push board on the roof. You might want to add something on the push board so that what ever you use won't slip and go through the roof fabric on the inside. Not something that is easy to fix if it happens.

While I was at FWC we made a lift one time out of a high lift jack for one customer. We put closet rod ends on the push boards to use a wooden rod with the jack to lift the roof. The closet rod ends held the rod so that it would not slip along the wood and tear the fabric on the inside of the roof.

Hope something in all this helps you out.

Sincerely,
Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

#9 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

When you first get in the camper sqat down at the back, keeping back straight and put hands on the push bar. Stand up lifting the roof as you do, once the roof is up all the way, take one hand and push the back panel to lock it. At this point the back panel is tight, do not try to pull it forward yet to wrap the strap around the knob.

Go to the front of the camper and sqat down a little, still keeping back straight, put left fore arm against the push board and start to stand up pushing on the roof. As soon as you start to lift the roof, take the pull/push handle with your right hand and push on it also as you stand pushing the roof still with your arm. Between pushing the push board and the handle at the same time the roof normally goes up smoothly in the front. When it reaches the top it should lock into place smoothly since you are still pushing on the handle and that locks it into place for you.

Ben, thanks for the tips. I've been under the impression that I needed to lift the roof entirely before pushing on the panels because stressing them in this way (using them to help lift the roof rather than merely using them to lock it in place once it's up) might lead to weakening or failure of the panels. This is consistent with what you say in the first paragraph quoted above.

When you describe lifting the front you suggest that I can lift and push the panels at the same time. If so, this would make the job much easier than what I've been doing up til now.

So, is this true just for the front? It doesn't make sense that it would work on one side and not the other...? Have I been babying those panels too much? Can I use them to assist in lifting front and back?

Do tell! Thanks!

Donna

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Donna,

When you first get in the camper and lift the back I have always found it eaiser to use both hands on the push board to lift the roof up and then push on the back panel to snap it into place. To be honest I have never pushed on the back panel while I lifted the roof. If you lift the roof the way that I described in the other post it should work. The front panel can be used to help lift the roof because the push bar is connected through the brace on the front panel. The force that you are putting on the front panel to help lift is being spead out to both sides of the panel through the brace. In all the years that I have been doing this, I have never broken a panel in raising the roof or caused any damage to one.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users