• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

Damn, what I have missed in the last few weeks!

Ben, the pushbar is in, no problem and works like a charm. How could it be otherwise with the parts you provided (including spares), and detailed instructions? :D

craig333, thanks for the user report, I will be fearless from now on :)

camelracer, that is one cool pneumatic ram thingy you've built there. :cool:

#32 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:52 AM

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Happy camping now.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#33 larry.m

larry.m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:19 AM

I just bought one. It works perfect for my Gramby. I thought I would need an extension for the ratchet for extra leverage, but worked fine. I'm recovering from neck cancer with litte strenth in my right arm. Thanks for the tip, now I don't have to trouble strangers to help me lift!

#34 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I just bought one. It works perfect for my Gramby. I thought I would need an extension for the ratchet for extra leverage, but worked fine. I'm recovering from neck cancer with litte strenth in my right arm. Thanks for the tip, now I don't have to trouble strangers to help me lift!

Speaking for all ATC/FWC users, we are not strangers, maybe a little strange, but friends you have not meet yet. :D

Please see the post about the new "LQ Roof Lifter" http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=680

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#35 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Guys,

Thanks for bringing the thread forward. I missed it somehow when I was reading all past posts after joining the forum. Great Stuff.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#36 mht

mht

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Greetings,
I try not to carry too much on top of my 2001 Granby but on trips to Mexico I have no choice but, in addition to a 70 W solar panel, load up a locally fabricated roof rack with a "soft bag" full of stuff we "can't do without"!
I use one of the corner jacks with a drill and adapter which gives me a nice controlled accent and decent. The lowering can be just as important if you don't want to lift the edges of the (loaded) roof from the outside to stuff in the excess liner...ouch! Just before final touchdown I go around and easily insert any liner hangin' out.
I have added a triangular brace to get the jack drive below the head liner enough not to damage it, to "load" the jack not the gearbox cover, and also to provide a vertical lift on the forward push board which happens to be somewhat over the front seat instead of the floor.
I've also been looking for a lighter solution than that jack but the ratings on the ratchet holders don't seem adequate. If I can come up with a surplus unit, I want to try a screw actuator from an large, older (read obsolete) satellite dish. I used to install these dishes and the actuator sized for the 6' dishes seem about right. They'll run on 12 Volts DC and I think they might just be short enough to fit between the floor and push board when fully retracted.

Ben has a very good description of how to push up the roof, unloaded. It seems, however, at a little over 60 years and 6' tall, it's still awkward for me to "assume the position" so to speak, especially in the front. What I do is take off my footwear, crouch (feet on the front seat) under the front push board and push up with my back until I can push the push bar into place. Works well for me.
A bit OT but I need to add a kayak rack (more stuff!) and, if necessary for space considerations, Ben, do you think it's OK to add gutter clips to the edge of the roof (seems the most solid part of the roof) in order to support that type of rack?

Lots of great info on this forum!

Marty

#37 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:40 PM

mht,

Great idea. Of all the rising/lowing techniques mentioned here no one has suggested a standard camper jack. I just happen to have four. This would be the emergency solution to lowering the top with large snow load on it. Thanks for posting.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#38 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

Dear mht--

Regardless of how smart I *think* I am, it took DLN's response for me to fully appreciate what you were conveying.

Thanks! (And also thanks to DLN!)

MWI

#39 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

If I am picturing what you mean by gutter rack, I would not recommend it on the side of the roof.

All the Yakima systems that we have installed are track systems that mount on the top of the roof. You have the tracks that go on top, then the towers that slide in the tracks and then what ever type of saddles that you want for what you are carrying.

Stan may know more about the gutter rack that you are talking about. We never used them while I was at FWC.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#40 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

Since adding a rack and solar panel earlier this month I have been studying all of the various submissions on this forum about raising the roof. I have also been trying to pay attention to what happens while I am struggling with the top while trying to get it up. I noticed that I had a big urge to stand on the settee to give myself leverage. Having dealt some already with the underpinnings of the settee and being on the far side of the 200# mark myself, I was reluctant to do that.

So I found some scraps of 3/8" flooring material and beefed up the settee foundation. I've done four roof raisings so far with this set up and it works pretty good. I take the cushions off the settee, stand on it, crouching with my shoulders against the inside of the roof and just stand up with a little push on the D handle.

Attached Thumbnails

• setteebrace.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users