57 replies to this topic

#11 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

We're going to the showroom this Saturday. Another week or two to order. 12 weeks for the build. I live in Berkeley—I suppose I could always drive to Woodland to buy jack stands, after the fact.

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#12 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

I would recommend you at least get the jack plates installed by FWC.  You can use them as the attachment point for any sort of overhead lift device you may create and/or you can acquire the actual jacks later.  Many places sell them.

I bought my first FWC in 1997 and opted not to get the the jack plates installed, but bought these 'brophy-brand' external portable jack devices that FWC used to sell back then.  They were seriously scary, thus the only time I ever used them was to remove the camper and transfer it onto the new owners truck, ten years later.  Honestly, as I recall that day, my heart rate increases, it was so scary having the camper wobbling on these things while you had to drive over the jack feet to move the truck under the camper.

I had a hard side camper with electric jacks, and it always went on and off for trips, and loading and unloading was seriously easier than parallel parking. About as easy as falling out of bed.

I bought my new FWC with the plates and the jacks.  The jacks are still in the boxes, unused.  I am glad to have them, since I can remove my camper from the truck anytime I want to.  I could not find them cheaper than buying them from FWC.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#13 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Doing a little looking online and am thinking about engine hoists. 

http://www.amazon.co...ds=engine hoist

I wonder if you could use one or two of these to lift the camper slightly to reposition once on the truck (to get it centered). I am not sure I would feel safe using these to support the entire camper, although the fact they have wheels might make moving it around easier. 

#14 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks! I will get the plates, at least. I haven't priced electric jacks, but anything to remove and install the camper faster and easier would be appealing, although I think I'm gonna need a cart or, or casters, at least, to move the camper into the area I have for storage. I was just thinking I might build a cart-type storage table with wheels that would also facilite removal and installation (with come-alongs and a tilting top) . It doesn't sound like anyone's tried it. If I get the plates, which I will, I'll, at least, have back up plan.

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

There have been others who have put casters on the jack plates.  I believe someone at FWC warned that the legs on casters didn't have enough strength or stability to be safe.  I have to take my camper off after each trip as I use my truck for work.  I don't believe there is a better mouse trap than the jacks can provide.  If I were you I would buy the brackets and jacks.  Better safe than sorry.  Build yourself a dolly to move the camper around.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

Doing a little looking online and am thinking about engine hoists. 

http://www.amazon.co...ds=engine hoist

I wonder if you could use one or two of these to lift the camper slightly to reposition once on the truck (to get it centered). I am not sure I would feel safe using these to support the entire camper, although the fact they have wheels might make moving it around easier. 

I sold a similar hoist I'd bought to swap engines, for $50 after one use, so you could probably acqure one cheaply via Craigslist.  Not sure I'd get one just for camper adjustments, though.

I have moved more than one camper, even ones twice as heavy as a FWC, a little at a time to center it, by hand force.  It is a bit hard if there's a rubber bed mat but it can be done.  Pushing on the jack mounts is a safe spot to avoid mushing the siding.

I may not have thought this was feasible, but way back in 1997 when I was first picking up a FWC that was exactly what the guys at the factory did to finish sliding it against the front of the bed, and then to properly center it.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#17 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

Crazy?

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#18 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

IMG_1326 copy.jpg

This rough sketch something like I had in mind.  Crazy?

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#19 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

Some of the Airstream renovators build gantry structures to lift the shell of the trailer off the frame. They use timbers for the frames as I recall. You might search on Airstream Forums for details. Use jack brackets for attachment points to lift. My only concern would be whether the the brackets and camper frame are up to the task.

All that being said, the jacks are versatile and convenient.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

I have considered the same thing.  Four good men can load a FWC or ATC by hand.   Pick up one end off the saw horses, back the truck under and shove it on.  That is where the term "slide in camper" came from.  The first truck campers were light weight and this is the way they were loaded, by hand.  

I never feel entirely safe with cable jacks but you can buy a used pair for $100.  Corner jacks put the camper under a lot of strain when "walking" them up, twisting the camper frame back and forth.  They also take a lot of installing.  If I had sort of a custom made loading dock on my property for my camper, I would store and load my camper from it, using a couple of cable jacks to assist and a couple of cowboys to shove it on.

BTW, a pair of cable jacks is handy for removing the truck bed to work on the truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users