57 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

I decided I wanted mine perfectly centered this last time. I don't think its critical but I did it anyway. I used the winch from my Jeep to move it. Basically just bumped it a bit. Cable attached to the jack mounts.

One thing I would recommend regarding the jacks, unless you're going to leave them on, toss the locknuts. A pita you don't need. Use a battery drill and the attachment (I assume they're still including it). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

When you're at the shop ask if they that some atwood jacks around.  When I got mine they had a bunch of the them and sold them to me cheap.  To make them work I need to make some "adaptors" out of 1/4" angle.  I think I had about $300 in the whole thing.  Since my rig has a fat butt I needed to build extensions anyway.  I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be just to save a few bucks.  You're buying a new FWC, probably the most expensive camper there is considering the size and amenities.  sign0134.gif

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#23 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:30 AM

Perhaps I am making it harder than it needs to be. Some people get psyched wiring a solar panel. Moving heavy things has always been fun for me. I just wondered if anyone had a similar idea. My street and driveway are steep, and some here have expressed concern about the top heavy nature of the jack system, especially if they are mounted on casters, and going down a grade, as mine would need to do. The other issue is that I use the truck for work, and it would be inconvenient to have the camper on all the time. So I thought if could think of fast controlled way to load and unload—and save $750—I'd be killing a few birds with one stone. My garage has high ceilings but there are boats up there, so a lift is out. Plus my shop layout makes just driving into the garage difficult. Anyone here move a FWC on jacks and casters down or up a slope?

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

... Anyone here move a FWC on jacks and casters down or up a slope?

No, but it sounds exciting! ;)

I wasn't kidding about my patent comment -- you may be venturing into new territory here, but why not?

Ignore the naysayers, go for it, and report back with what you come up with. :)

I designed my roof-mounted solar system to be tiltable, even though few/no others do it that way -- I ain't afraid to be different. :D

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#25 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:54 AM

Mark,

I have enjoyed following this thread. It is fun when a bunch of people put their heads together and try and come up with a solution to a problem. Every time I read another post, I started working on a solution in my mind again,sometimes using their input.  It is fun! I hope you find a good solution.  I may need it as well someday. Keep the ideas coming!

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#26 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

<stuff clipped>

Anyone here move a FWC on jacks and casters down or up a slope?

You will have insurance won't you? Like really good liability insurance...🎢. 😱

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 16 January 2015 - 05:07 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#27 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

I appreciate it—I'll have to do something, eventually, that's for sure. Maybe that'll include insurance. Thanks everyone.

You know, MarkBC, I was just thinking tonight that it would be cool if a roof-mounted solar panel could tilt!

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#28 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

This guy loads his camper off of a cart in about one minute:

#29 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

I have seen some stratigies used by motorcyclists and jet ski crowd that have permanent rack in truck that use skateboard wheels and a small winch that lift and slide 1000# with no problem it would add several inches to height but just stand back and push a button would be fun

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

This guy loads his camper off of a cart in about one minute:

This definitely is an answer to the issue of loading/unloading without jack stands.  I didn't know that devices like this existed:  EZ Pickup

But the frame required to be mounted to the bed of the truck adds 2 inches to height -- a downside.  I don't see the price listed...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users