Game changer? - 2.8 L Duramax Diesel

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:15 PM

Here is the Duramax... I have one too...with an Eagle (formally a Taco owner). The diesel is amazing. great mpg and tons of torque. Needed air bags and I am putting on a sway bar. This photo is from FWCJH. on their Instagram site.

25 MPG !!! good lord, that is twice what i get now in my Titan. 

#42 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:11 AM

After doing what needs to be done: Air bags, E rated tires (C at the least) sway bar, and if heavy on the gear like me ... an added leaf. This truck is indeed a Game Changer.... long life, lots of power, great mileage, comfortable with modern electronics (info-tainment) and easy to maintain.  

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#43 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:59 AM

Just fyi major money is being invested in diesel engine tech. Which is billions behind compared to gas engine design and development.
I have read in several places now that future diesel engines will have similar exhaust set up as standard gas engines in the near future. The DEF treatment is just a step in diesel engine evolution. But its not new anymore and the newer rigs rarely have issues with it.
Clean vehicles are fine by me. Diesel power is really amazing and ideal for FWC type rigs.

#44 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

I am planning on a long haul trip to Alaska from New England in 2017. A bit daunting. I have driven across the US twice on motorcycles. That is a lot of work. I am hoping the comfort I have in the interior of the Duramax diesel Colorado will make the first leg out doable: Wife flies to WA. I drive the truck camper rig. It will be a great shakedown cruise. We get on the ferry and float on up to near Homer. take 4 weeks cruising the sites and take 2 more weeks to get back down to Montana.... wife on the plane.... me schelping cross country home. The diesel should do well on the long haul in mileage with cruise control. I figure 13,500 miles round trip max. 10 weeks... of which 7 K is done by me alone. 

The diesel barely sounds like a diesel... no smell either at all. The DEF has worked perfectly so far at 4000 miles. I have been waiting for the shoe to drop but I can't find a thing that has not worked perfectly so far. No issues. (save I needed a seat cushion).

If all goes well this winter it will be a heck of a ride for sure.

Henry David Thoreau

#45 Desertratduo

Desertratduo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Our first trip in Sept. in our 2016 Colorado Diesel Longbed Z71 4WD was just shy of 5000 miles and averaged 28.1 mpg with mostly interstate driving. Accelerating uphill at 75 mph was amazing.....truck performed flawlessly. Using exhaust brake in steep descent from 10,000 ft peak was a revelation--no manual braking. Our FWC Fleet is due to be delivered in Dec.and we will be eager to see how it drives. We love the truck, so comfortable, such a pleasure to drive. I think we got the only one in AZ and we haven't seen another on the road. Stay tuned.

2016 Colorado Diesel Z71 4WD Longbed and FWC Fleet

#46 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

I am planning on a long haul trip to Alaska from New England in 2017. A bit daunting. I have driven across the US twice on motorcycles. That is a lot of work. I am hoping the comfort I have in the interior of the Duramax diesel Colorado will make the first leg out doable: Wife flies to WA. I drive the truck camper rig. It will be a great shakedown cruise. We get on the ferry and float on up to near Homer. take 4 weeks cruising the sites and take 2 more weeks to get back down to Montana.... wife on the plane.... me schelping cross country home. The diesel should do well on the long haul in mileage with cruise control. I figure 13,500 miles round trip max. 10 weeks... of which 7 K is done by me alone. 

The diesel barely sounds like a diesel... no smell either at all. The DEF has worked perfectly so far at 4000 miles. I have been waiting for the shoe to drop but I can't find a thing that has not worked perfectly so far. No issues. (save I needed a seat cushion).

If all goes well this winter it will be a heck of a ride for sure.

That's my plan eventually.  Take the ferry up to AK, spend time up there, drive back to Idaho.  Be sure and post updates/trip reports.  I know a lot of people on the forum have done that trip and not one didn't like it! 

Great adventures!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#47 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

Had a chance to stop by the GMC dealer last week during some errands. Last time I looked was when the first Colorado on the lot had just arrived.

Canyon SLT interior is much nicer than the Colorado top model Z1 I test drove.

They had about 8 Canyons and three Diesels. I hadn't heard one start and run. WoW what a nice engine. Really quiet.

I stll think GM needs to step up its interior. The SLT fo leather was nice but I would'nt say its at the level of our Subaru which is disapointing for the price point. 40k life style truck should at least have interior seating covers on par with Subaru which isnt exactly high end or fancy.

After a yr with our cooled seats in the Fusion... A smart truck maker would offer it as a $350 option on every trim even the work truck. Nothing is more awesome than getting back to the rig after a hot hike, or packing up camp in hot temps and kicking on the cooled seat. Ohhhhhh its soooo much heaven.... Seriously...
Our Subaru replacement will have vented or cooled seats, seriously, I would consider brands I'm not a fan of to have cooled seats!

Come on GM!!!

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

I am a fan of "A Good Truck"... I have had Mazda (young) then Dodge (Mitsubishi).. then Toyota Tacoma (15 years) and now the Chevy Colorado Duramax diesel. I can't imagine a better pop up camper truck... small enough to get into the places needed, great inside cargo.... WAY more power to drive with camper and tow a trailer... comfort and  tech amenities. (great mileage) I find excuses to drive it. If all y'all want a truck for camper w/o going the 12 mpg route (try 25 mgp).... this is it. I know it is a matter of needs/likes. but it really is a nice set of wheels.  

Henry David Thoreau

#49 Billincamo

Billincamo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:33 AM

For the full size trucks, plan on an extra $8,000 minimum for a diesel. You have to drive a lot of miles to get a return on your investment. My suspicion is the same math applies to the 1/2 ton trucks.

If I didn't pull a big travel trailer and boat, I would have purchased a gas rig instead of the diesel.

The Ram Ecodiesel upgrade is $4,200. Worth every nickel for the torque, mileage, and resale value!

#50 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

Buckland I'm awating your big trip blog to hear more about the little 2.8.

My career path has taken a big 90 degree turn in a whole new direction. Due to my Amazing wife landing her dream job. Its looking like a midsized pu will be a better fit for what I'm toying with regarding full time dad and part time one man buisness. So we shall see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users