89 replies to this topic

#31 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

I still have a lot of work to do but those panels were really stressing me out because this old camper is twisted somewhere an the lift panels was not letting that roof sit right,these bars I seem to have a little wiggle room..

#32 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

I learned a lot making that liner (1) sew the screens and windows first then cut the windows out (2) make it about 6" wider than you need it ,you can cut that off after the trim strip goes on. My old liner was 26" wide and that's what I made this one but that didn't leave me enough room room to grab and pull on it to make it real tight.I only have about $100 in that 18oz VCP and once I get this all done and in use next year I may do that part again.

#33 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

Those lift bars look good! I've never seen that before.  I can't see those rotting out anytime soon, especially if aluminum conduit was used, I like it.  I too have an old grandby that needs some work, one of the previous owners did a botch job on the canvas and the front lift panel, functional but shaky at best.  I can see myself doing something very similar to your build in the near future.  I hope you get your frame issues sorted out.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#34 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

Creative solution to your problem. Good work! I'm wondering if, since you no longer have the spring tension and the diagonal bracing provided by the original panels, the roof is vulnerable to collapse in high wind loads. You might test it by pushing on the raised roof from different directions. Adding the spring-loaded lifting struts would help that problem somewhat. You could also add a pin or clamp where the conduit pieces overlap so they can't separate once the roof is up. I've often thought the lifting panel design could be rethought once the lifting struts are added, which most everyone is doing these days. Thanks for posting your project- helps us all learn from new ideas.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#35 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

Those bars seem pretty stable,I have them pinned when popped up.The back is great cause you're standing right there and you can get a good hold,the fronts going to have to have some sort of handle cause of the leverage of standing back because of the bed.I'm going to put some struts on as soon as I figure what brackets to use.I don't think I could ever use those lift panels with the way the back was cracked and bent. Had I seen that damage before I got so far,I would've built a new back.I work at a high school with a great welding shop, they welded up the front for me and I'm sure they would've done the back had I asked before school was out for summer.I think my buddy I gave it to had dropped it cause the roof wasn't closing when I got it back...

#36 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

WV: As far as the roof helper lifty thingys goes, there is a long thread on here and part numbers and sources are listed. I used the offset brackets and 30lb, 36" cylinders. BTW, I took out the FWC lift panes all together and rely solely on the cylinders to lift the roof. I think with the cylinders and your lift panels, you would be fine. YMMV.    

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#37 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

WV: As far as the roof helper lifty thingys goes, there is a long thread on here and part numbers and sources are listed. I used the offset brackets and 30lb, 36" cylinders.

<snip>

roof lifting helper shocks

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#38 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Thanks guys I'm going to order some struts this weekend of that auction site and I think I'm going to try 1/4" off sets brackets.One of my concerns were that I wanted to put an awning on the back so I have to make room for that with these struts.I would like to see a pic with the awning out with the rear struts....I was really hoping to have it done by next week end but unfortunately it won't be ....

#39 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

Any update on the lift panels/tubes? Also, I put my struts on the sides just in case I wanted to put an awning on the back, over the door.  

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#40 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:00 AM

Any update on the lift panels/tubes? Also, I put my struts on the sides just in case I wanted to put an awning on the back, over the door.  

What he asked. I've almost convinced myself to overhaul my Grandby and want/need to do something to my lift panels.  I'm convinced some of my canvas wear came from it pinching between the lift panels when popped down.  I'm wanting to consider your approach.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users