• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

Our camping trips were the three or four night affairs and that usually meant two or three nights BBQing. I hve always used a "chimney" to start our Weber at home so I just used the "old" one for camping. Since one full chimney full of briquettes will take care of the steak or chicken each night, I simply put a Zip lock baggie in the chimney and filled it with charcoal. I removed it and made one or two more the same way, leaving the last one in it during transit.

Don't forget the newspaper to start it though!

I found a small rectangular 16" x 24" grate from an old small fridge for a grate and I too used the "four rocks" stand method or the "two branches" method to hold it. We used the fire pit and after dinner just dumped the remainder of the coals onto a pile of kindling I had laid in the pit during the afternoon to start our evening fire.

Since we rarely visited more than one campsite and didn't change locations, I just used a couple of shopping bags to transport it as it would always be kinda grungy after a couple days camping.

Don't forget the wire grill scraper!

Once back home a REAL cleaning and a couple shopping bags and it would be ready for the next trip.

Oh yeah, don't forget the BBQ spatula with long handle!

Edited by PackRat, 18 January 2017 - 07:28 PM.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#32 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Carry a plastic bag with 2 cubes per charcoal fire starter in your chimney. Takes little space & saves you from hamburger tar tar in the event you forgot to bring the local fishwrapper with you.
https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B001AN7RGG
3 cubes may start faster, if it is really cold and damp.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 21 January 2017 - 05:03 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#33 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

If you want a really compact grill, the firebox stove is it.  I've been binge watching their videos on instagram:

https://www.instagra.../firebox_stove/

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#34 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

One of my friends just ordered this stainless BBQ.   It's very similar to the Fox BBQ that was previously mentioned, but per friend has better ratings because the grill is more secure.   We will be traveling with them in the near future, so I will get a chance to try it out.

Just remember...   If it's smoking it's cooking, if it's black it's done, if it's too black...   You're done!

I am haunted by waters

#35 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

I feel like a dinosaur - I start my campfire and once I get some nice coals going I take my shovel and clear a spot under the grill and place charcoals in the fire pit. Like a lot of other folks, I just bag how much charcoal I think I'll need. Then I place either an Oscarware disposable grill topper or some non-stick Reynolds aluminum foil on the fire ring grate and bbq away. I also have a 12x24 grill if I have to use a rock fire ring. Either way, I like the grill toppers cuz' it's sanitary, veggies can't fall through, you don't have to clean it, they don't take up much room, and they can be used 2-3 times depending on your grunge tolerance. After I'm done cooking I have the whole fire ring available again for a serious camp fire. Besides grilling, you can cook directly in the fire by hollowing out a spot in the coals - take a roast or prime rib, carrots, potatoes double or triple wrapped in foil - place in the hollow and cover with some ash and coals just like you would do at home in an oven. But that's another topic!

Edited by Ronin, 25 January 2017 - 02:06 AM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#36 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Our camping trips were the three or four night affairs and that usually meant two or three nights BBQing. I hve always used a "chimney" to start our Weber at home so I just used the "old" one for camping. Since one full chimney full of briquettes will take care of the steak or chicken each night, I simply put a Zip lock baggie in the chimney and filled it with charcoal. I removed it and made one or two more the same way, leaving the last one in it during transit.

Don't forget the newspaper to start it though!

I found a small rectangular 16" x 24" grate from an old small fridge for a grate and I too used the "four rocks" stand method or the "two branches" method to hold it. We used the fire pit and after dinner just dumped the remainder of the coals onto a pile of kindling I had laid in the pit during the afternoon to start our evening fire.

Since we rarely visited more than one campsite and didn't change locations, I just used a couple of shopping bags to transport it as it would always be kinda grungy after a couple days camping.

Don't forget the wire grill scraper!

Once back home a REAL cleaning and a couple shopping bags and it would be ready for the next trip.

Oh yeah, don't forget the BBQ spatula with long handle!

Be very careful about old refidge shelves. Many are cadmium plated and pose a health risk when used as a grill!

#37 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

If you want a really compact grill, the firebox stove is it.  I've been binge watching their videos on instagram:

https://www.instagra.../firebox_stove/

I have an Emberlt wood stove(twig stove). Very similar but folds flat.

https://www.emberlit.com/

067%20Small_zpsttr4avmz.jpg

073%20Small_zpsrmc1hxm1.jpg

My favorite way to cook over an open fire.

071%20Small_zpsukxhutnd.jpg

#38 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:59 PM

I love my Snowpeak Pack and Carry Fireplace. It folds flat and fits perfectly next to my ARB fridge in the fridge area. 

Grill Set Up

Attached File  597294_62409332f79f4dbaa2df17c034256c46~mv2_d_2448_3264_s_4_2.jpg   154.38K   79 downloads

Grill Stowed

Attached File  IMG_2631.JPG   107.41K   83 downloads

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#39 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:59 PM

Weber Smokey Joe here and a chimney to start it. The baked potato and corn trick works well and a steak just tastes better over wood with that bark.

Coals go into the fire which lights the kindling instantly.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#40 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

I have been using the crap out of my Snowpeak Pack and Carry. We pretty much use it every night. Recently made pizzas on it for the first time on our last trip to Acadia.

IMG_3063.JPG

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users