• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

Being a Toyota lifer. to date.. I am clueless of the difference between the GMC Canyon and the Chevy Colorado. A dealer near me said they are the same but GMC is more expensive ... what? This is the stuff that makes me hate shopping in general and specifically auto. There is a palatable feeling of being "taken to the cleaners" ...a shadowy deal making.  I have to admit i like the grill of the GMC more... is that what it is about? Well I am not all that worked up about it ...much more in life to fret about if you are lucky.

I'll just keep on trucking

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Traditionally, I believe GMC trucks were aimed slightly upmarket of Chevrolets, with more luxurious standard interiors—sort of like the difference between a Chevy sedan and a Buick. I don't know if that's still the case.

I believe only the Nissan Titan is getting the Cummins diesel, not the Frontier, sadly. We drove a Nissan Navara through South America—virtually identical to the Frontier except equipped with a superb four-cylinder turbodiesel. An amazingly powerful engine—floored at 1800 rpm in second it would plaster your head against the headrest.

#13 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

I'm a Toyota guy have had three SUVs since the 90s. To be perfectly honest looking at my repair history they weren't exactly cheap or over the top reliable. I'm really interested in the diesel canyon. The range would be really nice. The interior would pass the wife test. I've never owned a GM product ever. But todays Toyotas are not the toyotas of the past. I think my current Toyota SUV shares more GM design and shared pattents with GM SUVs than most people realize.

I like the Tacoma but have never been convinced its a good enough value to buy one. I almost bought a Frontier though.

The Colorado/ Canyon are very interesting. They drive really nice, and have pretty good payload numbers.

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:17 AM

I am beginning to think that too....but.... I have been to 3  GMC dealers and get mixed messages about them. I have an Eagle and need an extended cab not the 4 door as the bed is not long enough for the camper. The 4 door bed is absurdly short. That being the case the extended cab won't have the diesel option from what I am told. I would like that if possible...why do they make it so difficult ?!

There was only one Colorado at two dealers.... it worries me that these either aren't in demand or of no interest to GMC.... there are tons of Sierra's and other monster trucks that are not my line. It is such a huge expense for me to get a new truck... not done on a whim. I want to think this is a truck I can live with for 15 years...might sound crazy but my Tacoma is doing that now.

Henry David Thoreau

#15 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:08 AM

I was told GM cant build them fast enough. The negative is that any GM dealer with a product that sells its self is viewed as gold and the dealers get really weird. I think GM has upped production twice and dealers are still complaining they cant get enough of them.

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

Well from the website reviews and the photos it sure looks and sounds like a great truck...just right for the Eagle. It comes with so many more real features that Tacoma hasn't come close to. I will keep patching this ole truck for as long as possible and hope the extended cab Canyons will be diesel come next year. 

Henry David Thoreau

#17 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Buckland....although it doesn't directly correlate with your topic, I wanted to relay to you that I own two trucks, both Chevys.  One 1/2 ton and a 2010 Colorado 4x4.  The Colorado has 105K on it, extended cab.  It's only a 4-cyl manual transmission.  I didn't buy it to put a camper on its back, but I wanted to tell you that truck has given me absolutely NO problems whatsoever.  One of the best vehicles I've ever purchased.  I have friends who had the 5-cyl model, and they were just as happy.  

I think there's an inherent Japanese bias out there, in certain circles, justified by past US auto reliability (or the lack of it).  When the Japanese dove full steam into the automaking world decades ago, and pried an opening into US markets, they looked at American technology and figured out how to make it better.  Far East countries are pretty good at, and encourage, the economic idea of "apeing" - that is, copying something, tinkering with it and improving it overall.  The one difference between 30 years ago and now is that American manufacturers have "aped" Japanese know-how and ingenuity, and the result has been a marked improvement in US autos.  So, for what it's worth, don't shy away from American trucks.  IMO they're very good.  I've owned three and been happy with all of them.

:D

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Like most opinions they are based on a truth that though old just keeps one thinking the same thing. I am no doubt stuck in that rut on lots of stuff. The Tacoma was bullet proof for it's time and then as most might do leaned on their laurels and did not improve on what they had. I am hearing more from non-Tacoma owners than folks like me. I think there might just be a few more feeling the same way but stubborn in their support. I do love driving the 2001 Tacoma. When they were working on replacing my frame (3 times..I kid you not) they stood by their product and loaned me a new model to drive.... I hated it. I could't wait to get my old truck back. That is a bit sad but true.

I will have to just wait until the snow flies here (soon no doubt) and take one out for a test drive. I am looking forward to the experience.

Henry David Thoreau

#19 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Being a Toyota lifer. to date.. I am clueless of the difference between the GMC Canyon and the Chevy Colorado. A dealer near me said they are the same but GMC is more expensive ... what? This is the stuff that makes me hate shopping in general and specifically auto. There is a palatable feeling of being "taken to the cleaners" ...a shadowy deal making. I have to admit i like the grill of the GMC more... is that what it is about? Well I am not all that worked up about it ...much more in life to fret about if you are lucky.
I'll just keep on trucking

Buck I looked into it when the first Colorados started hitting the dealers. Its the same truck but GMC shoots for a higher trim up market look and interior. The GMC interior is more typical modern style with passenger power seat / lumbar support etc vs the colorado interior reminded me of my cousins 85 Pontiac fo leather strips with cloth sewn in between etc. The mechanicals / packages are more or less identical. I like the exterior of the Colorado and modern interior of the Canyon that and the wife would nix the Colorado as soon as she saw the interior and lacking lumbar on the passenger side. Canyon would be my only choice. The Taco is too Jeep like and interior would fail the wife test. Lol

Edited by CALIcamperdad, 27 October 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

Not to mention the heated seats!

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users