• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#11 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:26 PM

Looks like it was made for Black Beans :) I just ordered some powerpoles and a crimper, thinking the same as you. Let me know if you need to borrow that :) 

I was wondering if that 12V plug was available online. I don't know the designation of it. Let me know what you find out :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#12 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:38 AM

Tonight I plugged it in to the AC in the HOT garage. I added some cold sodas and such to somewhat fill it up. It dropped from high 70's inside to 36 in a about 3 hours per the built in thermometer.

I didn't notice parts on line. But read awhile back that they talked someone through tested a failure on the phone and sent the customer the replacement part free of charge. The fridge was out of warranty.

Edited by Squatch, 06 June 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#13 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:24 AM

Great work on the truck and camper. Keep the updates coming!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#14 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

Truckfridge does have a good reputation from what I've read. That would be why I went with them over Engel or ARB which are at the top of most lists. Too much money for my blood. Getting the discount helped me pull the trigger.

I will run a bigger DC cable as the one they give us is 16Ga. Not a problem for that short a run but I would prefer bigger wire coming off my battery instead of that out of the plug.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#15 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

The fridge has been running on AC for a few days and seems to be doing fine. Today I picked up a 12 volt power outlet. Cigarette lighter socket to us old folks. My next experiment is going to be cabling 2 of my 55 ah Optima blue tops in parallel and plugging the fridge into this. I'll set the voltage cut off on the highest setting and see how long the fridge will run before it turns off for voltage drop. 

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:05 AM

So I got to thinking and said, "Why make a 12 v test hookup? Just put the batteries in the camper. Then plug the fridge into one of the lighter sockets and test it that way." So I did. 2 older (Made in USA) Optima blue top marine deep cycle batteries. Both charged to 12.75 v. Once hooked together in parallel and allowed to sit a while the meter read 12.62. Normal full for these batteries.

040%20Small_zpscz0pppbk.jpg

I took the 1/2 full fridge and placed it on the ledge in the camper. Even 1/2 full of sodas and water bottles this thing is much lighter than my ice filled old Coleman steel belted cooler. I set the cut off switch on high. Which means anything over 12.4 should fire it up and it shouldn't kick off till down in the 11's per the manual. I Plugged it in and soon got an E1 error. Not enough voltage! So I unplugged the cord from the fridge and checked the fridge end with a meter. 12.61 volts. HUH! So I changed the switch to the med cutoff position. It's been running fine in the ECO mode ever since.

I think this is just a calibration issue. The thermometer seems to be at least a few degrees optimistic. Set to around 32* nothing is freezing but the stuff is cold. I'll check it in the morning and see what the battery voltage is then. I'll keep an eye on it. I want to see if it will last the weekend without charging on these batteries. They are pretty tolerant of deep discharge. These are the trolling motor batteries from my boat. They are old and get beat up a lot. But just keep coming back for more.

038%20Small_zpsbm5uknhu.jpg

039%20Small_zps3vteqb29.jpg

#17 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

24 hours and batteries are at 12.49 v. Outside temps in the high 80's and the camper is mostly shaded. Fridge set for 34*

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

The temps today are around 90* and humid. The camper has been closed up and in the sun most of the day. It's warm inside. The fridge is running fine and has not kicked off due to voltage drop. I checked the batteries and my meter said 12.04 volts. The fridge has now been running on the batteries for pretty much the equivalent of a typical weekend trip without issues. And without charging of any sort. I'm satisfied. That was exactly what I wanted to know.

I have now hooked up my 10 amp deep cycle charger to the batteries and left the fridge hooked up. The charger shows a little less than 1/2 a charge on the gauge. I'll keep track and see how long it takes to get back to full charge.

In reality on many of my 4wheeling/camping trips we move daily so the truck will have a chance to charge the batteries every day. For extended beach trips where we park for several days I'll probably use a solar suitcase of some kind of at least 100 watts. Here in the east we are often parked in shade in the woods so solar can be of limited use. So I think a portable array will be of more use than roof mounted panels. 

Can't wait to actually put this to use in the field!

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

I keep aquiring stuff for the camper. i ordered some solar panels. 1) 160 watt panel in this thread      http://www.wanderthe...anel-115/       for the camper roof rack. I also ordered 2) 60 watt poly panels to make a portable unit. They are supposed to arrive next week.

I also ordered from Alt E. They showed it all in stock and their prices seemed decent.

https://www.altestor...troller-p11262/

A Bogart SC2030 charge controller.

TrimetricRV monitor.

Battery temp sensor.

A 500 amp shunt

I figured the Bogart stuff is all proven with a good rep. Why do it twice. I also have a background in electronic circuits. I like having data when trying things out.

I will still need cable to wire the truck to the camper. l'lI use #6 marine cable. And probably #8 for the remote portable solar panel. And of course breakers, switches, Cable connectors and other misc stuff.

I found this place for cable. The prices seem good and the marine cable is made in USA.

http://www.bestboatwire.com/

Slowily getting stuff together. Still debating what I will do for batteries long term. For the time being I'll probably just use the Optima Blue tops from my boat.

Still working on the truck and will have an update on that soon. Then I'm sure there will be a bums rush on outfitting all this junk on the Camper.

Edited by Squatch, 08 July 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#20 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Time for an update. Last night we made an important decision. Our annual beach trip is coming soon and the Moon truck project is lagging some as usual. Several other things have come up as they always do. So to avoid the bums rush we have decided to put the camper back on the boat trailer and once again go Jed Clamplett. It actually works quite well that way. Especially when it will be parked for a couple of weeks.

okracoke%20053%20Small_zps03dbh9xm.jpg

This will allow me to concentrate on getting the solar electric set up for the camper.

Some nice things came in today. Like 3 solar panels.

2) of these 60 watt panels which will likely be made into a portable charge unit.

solar%20009%20Small_zpsfxyecetg.jpg

1) 160 watt mono panel

solar%20006%20Small_zpskdhd31sa.jpg

Add to that the entire Bogart Trimetric and SC2030 package with 500 amp shunt and battery temp sensor.

solar%20012%20Small_zpsejzsospt.jpg

Edited by Squatch, 12 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users