• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

Since ATC does all the work on my FWC, I'd feel part of the group and I just saw Marty a few days ago!  Steens is awesome but the story about the snake is terrible and I would be a bit "gun shy" about going back.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#32 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

Just a heads up about The Steens during early summer. We drove the loop in mid/late June last year and it was absolutely beautiful. They had just opened the road the day before so abundant snow. But down below on the west side of the range near Frenchglen...mosquitoes like I've never experienced! Our small group was staying in a campground there and the host told us that it takes until close to the end of July for them to clear out. I'm not familiar with the east side and the Alvord but I have to imagine that there would be less of a problem in the desert. It's either that or camp high unless you like being slathered in repellent 24/7.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#33 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

Could be pretty wet out there for some time!  Lot's of rain, snow and mud-to go with lot's of new tall grass, ground squirrels, and yes a few more snakes!  I;'m still going to try and get out there late this spring as part of my usual NE Ca./NW Nevada and South Central Or. run-have not had a dip in the Virgin Springs CG hot spring for a few year :D  !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#34 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

I am in for this if at all possible.

#35 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

I am finally able to set a date for the ATC Get Together.   If you're interested in showing up, it's July 27-30 at the BLM Virgin Valley Campground near Denio, NV.  On highway 140, it's about 15 miles west of Denio Junction, and 2 miles south of the highway.   You'll see signs for the opal mines as well as the CG.  This is part of the Charles Sheldon National Antelope Refuge.

The CG is free, and there no reservations, so expect other groups/campers.   It's also going to be hot and dusty, but by going at this time, the Steens Mountain Loop should be completely open as well as areas in the Pine Forest Mountains.   Bring your birdoculars, cameras, fly rods, mountain bikes, hiking shoes, musical instruments and with the exception of drones... anything else that you can think of.   There are two vault toilets, a shower house and a swimming pool that you share with mosquito fish and bass.   Water is available near the shower house.

The get together is a no host affair, but it would be nice if we could have a pot luck or two, so let's put one on the agenda for the Saturday night..  When we were there last summer, the nearest fuel was at Adel and Fields Station, plus French Glen and The Narrows a bit farther away.   Both gas and diesel are available at those four locations.   Maybe with luck, the station at Denio Junction might reopen.  Because of the other attractions, I would expect that participants will come and go

In addition to the Sheldon Refuge, the Pine Forest Mts and Steens Mountain, we are reasonably close to Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge and some of the Central Oregon attractions like The Painted Hills.   It's not 'that' far from the Owyhee country as well.

Even though we are calling this an ATC Get Together, everyone is welcome to participate.  I hope to see you there.

I am haunted by waters

#36 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Thats a busy time at work but if I can get the time off I'll make it. Also near the Black Rock country which I've been meaning to visit.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#37 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

Just drove by Denio and the Sheldon refuge, in too much of a hurry unfortunately to get back home.

Just turning spring. Several good sized herds of antelope. 6! golden eagles hunting. Obviously lots of water this year.  Snow level in the pine forest range about 5000 feet. Severely overgrazed by cows where camped overnight just east of refuge.

Gas available in Denio, Paisley etc. 

The epitome of wide open spaces, look forward to getting back

#38 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

We are just about month and a half away <<July 27-30>> from the ATC (and everyone) get together at Virgin Valley.   Hopefully, the snow will have melted enough to let the Steens Mt loop road open completely.   I saw a report a couple of weeks back that said there was 52" of snow in the Jackman Park area.   That is in the 7,500' range.   Hart Mt should have all roads open by then as well.  The Alvord should be dry enough to go down on the playa.  In 2016, the sailplane meetup was around July 22, so there may be a chance to see them or get a flight.

If you are planning on going, please reply to the thread, and I will edit the first post to create a list of attendees.   If you're a maybe, let us know that as well.

Things to consider... There will be mosquitoes, heaviest in the Steens/Malhuer NWR area.   It will be hot at lower elevations, cold at night in the the higher elevations.  Fresh snow at elevation is always possible.   Bathing suits for the warm pool at Virgin Valley.  If you're a musician, feel free to bring an instrument.

I hope to see you there.

I am haunted by waters

#39 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Darn I was hoping it might be later :( I'm heading to Oregon for a meetup with friends in September. Wife is not yet retired so flying in and out of Portland while I drive. Would have liked to met up with some of you. I'm watching thread so I can maybe pickup places to stop before heading back to Texas :)

#40 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Put us on the "maybe" list :-)

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users