• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

All good reading in this thread, I've come to believe the Daystar cradles and/or Firestone/AirLift air bags will do the job nearly all the time. I have no plans to run any SCORE off road events ! I budgeted for adding a spring pack from Deaver Springs as soon as I can get there. I am very optimistic my non HD F150 with 3.55 elocker will do the job . Not nearly as optimistic about the 3.5 EB gas mileage under load. Rated at 1400 lbs payload I will give it a shot anyway, just toe tapping until I pick up the ATC at the end of April . The frame is now in the welding shop....:)

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#32 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCurrently: Denver, Colorado

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Glad I found this thread- thanks to all who have shared. I may be pulling the trigger on this setup. I'd wondered, is there a way to put really strong magnets on the cradle and the bottom of the bag to help align it? That said, we do get into some gnarly trails- but with the camper on- not sure if I ought to worry about it that much?

#33 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

No need. The separation between cradle and bag should not be much. The inside of the cradle is a bowl to catch the bag. Firestone air bags are heavy rigid structures. It's not like they are floppy.

#34 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

No need. The separation between cradle and bag should not be much. The inside of the cradle is a bowl to catch the bag. Firestone air bags are heavy rigid structures. It's not like they are floppy.

Thanks Squatch. Think this is my next addition!

#35 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

I just installed Firestone Ride Rites and Daystar cradles a couple of days ago. 2014 f150 FX4 1400 lbs payload.Always concerned about failures, I decided to test them a little and check,listen. My testing was less than scientific, but hitting a variety of speed bumps (domestic traffic control type)in three different heights I ran 5, 7.5, and 10 lbs psi up to 35/40 mph over these. My truck was loaded with 200 lbs splitting the axle and tailgate. So not any significant load. The plan was to get a little air between cragle and spring closer to home. I didn't here any slapping noise, cannot see any evidence of an alignment issues and at 5 psi, the ride was only marginally stiffer. It also seems to exhibit less body roll while while sporting about freeway clover leaf on ramps, this is most likely a result of E rated tires.The camper goes on Tuesday 24 April and this will certainly change everything, optimistic the combination will be suspended adequately... I will def. check before and after truck weight at the local Cat scale. A month back I also installed 5100 Bilsteins set at plus 1.25 inch front level and E rated KO 2's currently filled to 42 psi on all corners.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#36 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I just installed Firestone Ride Rites and Daystar cradles a couple of days ago. 2014 f150 FX4 1400 lbs payload.Always concerned about failures, I decided to test them a little and check,listen. My testing was less than scientific, but hitting a variety of speed bumps (domestic traffic control type)in three different heights I ran 5, 7.5, and 10 lbs psi up to 35/40 mph over these. My truck was loaded with 200 lbs splitting the axle and tailgate. So not any significant load. The plan was to get a little air between cragle and spring closer to home. I didn't here any slapping noise, cannot see any evidence of an alignment issues and at 5 psi, the ride was only marginally stiffer. It also seems to exhibit less body roll while while sporting about freeway clover leaf on ramps, this is most likely a result of E rated tires.The camper goes on Tuesday 24 April and this will certainly change everything, optimistic the combination will be suspended adequately... I will def. check before and after truck weight at the local Cat scale. A month back I also installed 5100 Bilsteins set at plus 1.25 inch front level and E rated KO 2's currently filled to 42 psi on all corners.

You'll probably have to articulate the rear axle to see any separation. Go find a ditch somewhere or stuff the front corner into a bank.

I think the cradles are most useful in those sorts of situations, where the suspension is forced to flex at or near it's capability. My bags separate from the cradles when we cross a deep arroyo or climb/drop over small ledges and banks one corner at a time.

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#37 Softtail

Softtail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

I have this setup on same rig as OP.. 2006 DC Tundra. My only issue, is I wish I had done it sooner! I have used the truck hard, from utilitarian hauling around the house, to loaded family trips with pretty aggressive low range driving. Can't say enough. The suspension is a week link on these trucks (and all Toyotas). The air bags and cradles are a great must have imo.

#38 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

You'll probably have to articulate the rear axle to see any separation. Go find a ditch somewhere or stuff the front corner into a bank.
I think the cradles are most useful in those sorts of situations, where the suspension is forced to flex at or near it's capability. My bags separate from the cradles when we cross a deep arroyo or climb/drop over small ledges and banks one corner at a time.

Yeah good point, I suppose it acts like an inflatable jounce stop and there should be no reason it wouldn't line up in everyday use. I don't have much , if any serious off road situations behind me so I'll figure it out slowly. I put the camper on yesterday for the first time and it rides and handles the load better than I thought it would. Tire pressure is also important. Ride Rites or Air Lift bags go against the normal suspension design, the cradles are a great idea at this stage.

Rock.....

#39 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

Installed over 11k miles ago (3 months on the road). No problems at all with lining up after flex- or having the rig up on a lift doing work. I check the pressure once a month, bags holding on great. 1st gen Tacoma with FWC Eagle. Thanks to all who have ran this setup and reported so far!

#40 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Other than a synchronized highway bobbing I had in PA on a horrible truck rutted road about a month ago. I'm still happy with mine.

009 (Small).JPG

Edited by Squatch, 31 October 2017 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users