• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Ya gotta love thread drift....

I am not a big proponent of running overweight. Nor am I crazy about any truck that requires extensive suspension modifications just to get it to do what it should do from the factory. To me the bigger issue is why are the newer campers getting so much heavier than the older models, and is it necessary? My mid 90's FWC Ranger II (basically an Eagle) with furnace, 3-way fridge, stove,12 gallons of water, tankless water heater, small generator, compressor, Wave heater, BBQ and food and gear for a 2 week hunting trip is still under 1,000 lbs on a truck scale. I have read where others have posted that their shell builds are heaver than that and a loaded camper at 1,500 lbs +. My truck/camper combo is right at 4,700 lbs. wet.

cwd

CWDT

#42 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

To keep on topic - I am not sure that overloading really is hell on transmissions, engines or even brakes.    In terms of the transmission and engine at least, carrying more weight on the truck itself is no different to towing that weight and for the brakes, it is no different than towing an unbraked trailer.   I am going to guess those that are overloaded are mostly overloaded by a couple of hundred pounds, or maybe a thousand pounds at most.  In all most all cases this is still way, way below the Gross Combined Weight Rating - which is 11,xxx pounds, even for a Tacoma.   You are still within the operating spec for the engine/transmission anyway.  Of course more weight is more wear, but that is always the case, whether you are carrying a 100lb payload a 500lb payload or a 1500lb payload.

Edited by rando, 31 May 2017 - 06:05 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#43 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Wow....from a thread dedicated to the question of being OVERWEIGHT and what truck/camper combo works or not, it's now a Toyota vs. Detroit argument.

1) I doubt more than 1/10th of one percent of us will EVER take ANY kind of truck with 100,000-200,000 miles out so far in the boondocks we have to be worried all the time that our "Detroit Iron" will break down so that has nothing to do with this thread.

2) Reliability vs cost? If you buy a Toyota because a Big Three costs too much, then buy a Big Three that is less than three years old with under 20,000 miles that some other camper owner used infrequently and has all the bells and whistles.

3) This isn't about how wider trucks and/or campers will restrict where you go, hell, its a big country so if Back Road "A" is going to scratch your nice new $40,000 truck and $25,000 camper then maybe you should consider Back Road "B"?

4) This thread is asking the basic question about overloading any truck. The basic response is "Well, everybody does it!" but so what, that does not make it any safer or smarter or easier on the truck when you do that.

5) Just because "The Beverly Hillbillies" made it to LA with a very overweight truck does not mean it was a good idea, even if they had helper springs, sway bars, air bags and "E" rated tires on that truck. No offense, but the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind here.

OK, maybe after you load up for a couple weeks in the bush you run across the scales to check the GVWR and the weight of each axle you discover you are OVERLOADED on the rear axle but still under the GVWR you feel that is still safe that's your business. Maybe 100 or 200 lbs won't be a problem. Then again maybe you find you are 300+ lbs over loaded on the rear axle...and you have everyone blinking their lights at you as if you had your high beams on then maybe your rig is a little bit too heavy?

Maybe you have each axle right at it's load capacity...then you find out you are WAY over the GVWR...is that a good idea? My '88 F-250 4x4 has a front axle capacity of 3920 lbs and a rear axle capacity of 6084 lbs...but the GVWR is 8800 lbs. Hmm, if I weigh the front and find I am right at 3920 and the rear and am right at 6084....then I am now at 10,004 lbs!!!! that is 1,200 OVER the GVWR!

Bad Idea! So...back to the original topic... "Overweight: Your Perspective"....I think safety overrules all other considerations here.

By the way, if you do go buy a new truck and then add sway bars, spring leafs or different springs or air bags....have you just voided your warrantee from the manufacturer because I think over loading is a sure way to wear out brakes, is hell on transmissions and probably may be a cause for engine problems aside from standard recall issues.

Aside from all that....its your truck, its your camper its your safety out there on the highway and off the highway....make wise choices my friends!

My truck has over 100,00 miles and I don't hesitate to take it anywhere it can go (no technical jeep tracks where I would have clearance issues).  When I am out in the boondocks, I am more worried about an injury, and have thought about getting a satellite phone.  

#44 Tubel5000

Tubel5000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

Wow....from a thread dedicated to the question of being OVERWEIGHT and what truck/camper combo works or not, it's now a Toyota vs. Detroit argument.

1) I doubt more than 1/10th of one percent of us will EVER take ANY kind of truck with 100,000-200,000 miles out so far in the boondocks we have to be worried all the time that our "Detroit Iron" will break down so that has nothing to do with this thread.

4) This thread is asking the basic question about overloading any truck. The basic response is "Well, everybody does it!" but so what, that does not make it any safer or smarter or easier on the truck when you do that.

Thank you, PackRat!

1) As I stated in my opening post, I am looking for a budget option to wander through the US and plan to go further with it (at least Panama). Looking at my limited funds, I will for sure not end up with a truck that has less than 100K miles on it..

4) True, and I am thankful for your opinion on this since I was asking myself all the time if I was overlooking something or if overloading was just something everybody does

#45 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Not so much over-working of the brakes, but extending the stopping distance beyond whatever the MFG or Gov't deemed to be the max acceptable distance.

As far as reliability, my old '84 Xcab had ~250k on it when sold. Our CTD has ~350k on it now. Both I rate highly reliable, but that is JUST those two trucks. I don't take isolated cases and extrapolate them to be representative of the whole. There is no way that the '84 could haul this camper and maintain that reliability.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#46 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Brakes are probably my biggest concern and my overloaded Taco has the towing package and I can't tell that the stopping distance has been extended at all.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#47 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

On my previous Taco because I was going down steep mountain roads with heavy load regularly I also was concerned about braking and upgraded to Tundra brakes.  It was easy and fairly inexpensive -there are now a number of UTube videos on the process.  It reduces braking distance substantially.  The braking on my current Taco is nothing special, just OK with the Fleet on, not a big difference than without the camper (I also have the towing package).   I plan on doing the same brake upgrade on my current truck as soon as I need a brake job.  The basic parts are widely available at junk yards.  As previous posters have said I have no concern about being in the boondocks with a high mileage truck, only about me getting hurt and not being able to call for help.

#48 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

My question is:

- Aren't you worried about insurance in case of an accident (being overloaded)?

- Overloaded pickups tend to break (frame) - Is that a problem you are aware of? If so, how do you handle it?

- what is your approach to that obvious problem?

My 2¢:

Any engineer worth his pay builds in a safety factor into all his designs.  So if your truck has a GVWR of 6000 lbs it is not going to break at 6001 lbs.  The safety factor is company specific and they usually don't want to tell you what it is for obvious reasons.

Any system (mechanical especially) will wear more the closer to maximum loading you get.

Having been in meetings with marketing and accounting where blood flowed ankle deep at the suggestion of adding 1/2¢ to the cost of the product, I would doubt that simply changing one component would significantly increase the GVWR of a truck.  One, components are usually well matched with load bearing capacity with the others because of cost and weight concerns.  Two, I cannot imagine any marketing department not wanting to put E rated tires on a truck, calling it a 'camper special' and charging more for it.

The only two components I am concerned about with overloading are brakes and tires, since they can affect others.  Tires should never, ever, ever be overloaded; bad things happen!  Insufficient brakes can be somewhat accommodated by modifying your driving.  Worn tires and bad brakes are a deadly combination.

I don't get my undies in a wad about someone I pass being a few hundred pounds over max, i worry about the behemoths with 3 feet of overhang and two slide outs wallowing down the road on a 3/4 or 1T truck pulling a huge boat.

As to insurance: I don't know.  But in our litigious society it wouldn't surprise me if someone gets sued for being over GVWR as reason for causing the accident and the courts are pretty much a crapshoot.

As to frame breaking: I havn't seen it and I have seen some repeatedly overloaded trucks.

I have run three Dodge trucks to close to 300,000 miles with little problem.  I would have no problem taking them into the boonies.  Got rid of them because of body rust and small stuff starting to break.

I agree with PackRat: determine your needs and usage and then go get the truck/camper that will meet your requirements.  I have a Grandby on a Ram 2500: ~ 800 lbs under GVWR wet.  I like a little margin in my life.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#49 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Tires, tires, brakes, tires, springs, shocks

In that order...

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#50 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Tubel5000,

I've written a number of article on this issue on Overland Tech and Travel. Search for JATAC and you'll find them. One looked at emergency handling, here. There's no doubt you'll be beyond the GVWR of a Tacoma with a Four Wheel Camper and all equipment, but there are steps you can take to compensate. Suspension is obviously number one.

The broken chassis referenced in the link is not a good example, I believe, due to the previous "reinforcements" added by the owner. It's impossible to say whether or not the frame would have broken if those had not been in place. I'm not a fan of the current open-channel frame of the Tacoma, but I'm not worried about actual breakage.

Jonathan it's interesting that you seem to advocate modifying a taco as a suitable remedy but in your signature line you are promoting the "Overlanding Bible" which emphatically states under no circumstances to exceed the GVWR of your vehicle as using a vehicle in an off-road situation is typically beyond the intended use of most vehicles.

I happen to agree with "The Bible" and have bought a F-350 to allow us to go off-road and still be under our GVWR. I know I am in the minority on this and that's OK. I just find it amusing that many on forums like this (and others) seem to have a better engineering background than the people who designed our vehicles....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users