Photo
- - - - -

Front Bumpers, Winches and Lights-Thoughts, Opinions Experience, etc.

Bumper lights driving lights

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

The better synthetic lines come with an abrasion guard long enough that it covers the full top layer of line on the drum. That helps with shielding the line from UV.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#32 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

Here is an example of a winch bumper that provides virtually zero visual or manual access to the winch. Not a good design in my opinion, however stylish and well-built otherwise it may be. Additionally, many current bumpers employ this canted fairlead, which means that the line is almost always running over it in tension and thus experiencing friction during a pull.

36345453946_86e7230193_c.jpg

Edited by JHanson, 05 August 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#33 MuleHawk

MuleHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:02 AM

I have an Aluminess front (and rear) bumper with a Warn 10,000lbs winch and PIAA fogs. Really love itIMG_0170.JPG

#34 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

JHanson I TOTALLY agree on that type bumper that hides the winch. I'm not even sure how he can access the freespool? I was thinking you were referring to Warns Hidden winch bumper. Mine has full access to the winch. Just not as obvious as some. It merely keeps the stock front bumper moving it forward. Has plastic fascia to keep the aesthetics of the stock look.

#35 Trout1 Project

Trout1 Project

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

For you Toyota fans with a welder:

http://nwtrailinnova.../toyota-bumpers
2007 Nissan Titan
2017 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

#36 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Great discussion and since I am new to power winches it helps.

I just bought a Warn 8S Multi Mount tray for use in my front [Curt] and back [OEM] receivers...weight of 8S with tray is 100lbs..on '05 Tundra Access Cab SR5 with winter and towing packages winch is snug against OEM front bumper and top of winch is level with upper edge of bumper [does not block air to motor]..the 100 lbs in front of bumper was a worry, time will tell, but it only dropped the front 1/2" or less...angled deflection or deformation of the receivers is of course a concern and I will bear that in mind when rigging prior to pulling.

It will wear a cover, primarily to keep grit off the unit and synthetic line...never thought of UV.

We are off road folks and conservative in our route selection-most of the time- but we also travel solo so self-recovery/rescue is a must if at all possible...front and back pulling also mandatory and the tray/winch with two receivers accomplishes that.

Will we ever 'need' the winch?  Never know.   Can't plan for all contingencies but will do my best to prepare for those that I reasonably can.

Thanks again for the discussion.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 06 September 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#37 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Follow up question:  When installing a rear bumper connector/plug for a Warn winch did anyone build their own 20 foot cables from and to the battery?  Can't tell if it is supposed to be "2 gauge" or "2/0 gauge".  Where did you source the cables and connector?

The Warn kit is way expensive and includes a solenoid switch that I do not want....they don't just sell the cables.

Thanks for any info.

Phil

#38 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Googling rear bumper winch connectors suggests that most, if not all, are 2 gauge.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#39 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

For an 8k winch over distance of 20 feet I think 2 ga. is way too small. It is what Warn supplies on the winch itself, but look at how short those cables are. I'm more than sure they're fine at that short length.

2/0 is more appropriate for the amps and the length. At max pull that winch draws 413 amps! Over a total circuit length of 40 feet (out and back) using Ancor Marine's CM = (10.75 * A * D)/(10% * 12 VDC) formula set of a 10% Voltage Drop I get a CM requirement of  147,991 2/0 has a CM of 133,000, that's likely close enough.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#40 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:26 AM

For an 8k winch over distance of 20 feet I think 2 ga. is way too small. It is what Warn supplies on the winch itself, but look at how short those cables are. I'm more than sure they're fine at that short length.

2/0 is more appropriate for the amps and the length. At max pull that winch draws 413 amps! Over a total circuit length of 40 feet (out and back) using Ancor Marine's CM = (10.75 * A * D)/(10% * 12 VDC) formula set of a 10% Voltage Drop I get a CM requirement of  147,991 2/0 has a CM of 133,000, that's likely close enough.

Wow!  Warn said the 20 foot cables in their 'rear connector kit' were 2 gauge!  I specifically asked them if they were "2 or 2/0 gauge"

...will call them tomorrow...thanks for the information..my friend on his Tacoma used a "1 gauge" cable and grounded to frame which Warn said was a no-no and might burn out motor [using frame].  As this point I am going to make up my own set of cables for the rear plug and without the "Interrupter" switch they use in their 'kit'.

Phil

Email answer from Warn:

"Phil,

The 32963 kit will come with 2 gauge cable which is sufficient enough for that application. It will also contain a “Power Interrupt” kit as well so you don’t have 20ft of live wire running under the truck.

Regards,"

Edited by Wallowa, 08 September 2017 - 01:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bumper, lights, driving lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users