• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Welcome. ​ I'm in Boise and I'm sure there are others in the 'hood.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#12 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:25 AM

Welcome Steve! Great group of folks here :) Ask away, answers will follow!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Welcome to WTW. Camp a few times is good advice before proceeding on. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Thanks all!  I started a thread about my camper, information I uncover about it, and proposed mods, etc. over here:

http://www.wanderthe...tar-800-pop-up/

Steve, hello and welcome to WTW. I think you’ll find the site a wealth of good information, and more importantly great people. You live in some nice country. Hopefully, you will tell us more about it.

The Northstar looks like a nice find!

Yeah, it is a pretty amazing area that is still pretty remote, though the "formal" camping at the lakes has gotten a lot busier over the years.  I live in Hailey, just north of the Snake River Plain, a semi-arid (well, pretty arid) sage and grass plain, and am tucked in to the South Central Rocky Mountains of Idaho.  The oldest ski resort in the country, Sun Valley, is 12 miles to the north.  

Here is a pretty good map that shows satellite images.  https://mapcarta.com...ley_(Idaho)/Map

Sun Valley ski resort is primarily on Bald Mountain in the Smoky Mountains, and is surrounded by a whole lot of other mountain ranges. 

"The Smoky Mountains area closely surrounded by other mountain ranges including the Sawtooth Mountains to the northwest, Boulder Mountains to the north, Pioneer Mountains to the east, and Soldier Mountains to the south. The Smoky Mountains are located within the watersheds of the Big WoodSalmon, and Boise Rivers. The mountains are most easily accessed from Idaho State Highway 75, although many unimproved and improved dirt road, including National Forest road 227, enter and cross the mountains."

https://en.wikipedia...moky_Mountains_(Idaho)

I live at the point of transition from plain to alpine mountains.  Where I am, sage and grass is on the south and sunny slopes and trees are on the north slopes, primarily lodgepole pine, fir, and aspen.  As you continue north into the mountains, it gets more full of trees.  There is world class kayaking and river rafting (though that is not really my bag) mountain biking, skiing and backcountry skiing, hiking, etc.  Idaho has the largest area of public land in the contiguous US, and is taylor made for adventuring out on backcountry roads and trails.  A good place for a pop-up camper!

Pretty nearby there are reservoirs and hot springs as well, closer to the plains.  And crossing the plains, you can get into Yellowstone, the Tietons, further yet, down into Utah, etc.  

So, that is a little primer.  Let me know about any specific questions and I would be happy to try and answer!

#15 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

And in the next couple posts, I will put up some pics to give you guys an idea of what things look like during camping season.  

Pic 1, Redfish Lake, from the Lodge where often there is music, and there are good margheritas on hot afternoons and good bloody marys on Sunday mornings.

Pic 2, Hailey, Idaho, from the east side on the top of a little mountain I hike with the dogs all the time.  

Pic 3, trails west of Ketchum, Idaho

Pic 4, primitive camping near hot springs, down near Fairfield Idaho in the Soldier Mountains

Attached Thumbnails

• dj06j7mcd3uv.jpg
  • IMG_6767.jpg
  • IMG_5873.jpg
  • IMG_3089.jpg

#16 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

Pic 1:  Alturas Lake with our boat, an older Malibu.

Pic 2:  Mountain biking near my house on an old game trail.

Attached Thumbnails

• BuAlturas.jpg
  • IMG_5524.jpg

#17 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Pic 1:  Far end of Redfish lake from the Lodge and my daughter getting ready to ski.

Pic 2: Alice Lake.  Backpack in only.

Attached Thumbnails

• r7zo8mj3wyd0 (1).jpg
  • IMG_3780.jpg

#18 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Pic 1:  Hiking up Baldy for Fondue on Friday night.  Ketchum in the background.

Pic 2:  The Pioneer Mountains from Baldy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5650.jpg
  • IMG_5647.jpg

#19 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

Steve,

Welcome to the WTW forum, you'll find a lot of encouragement and support here, all you need to do is ask! 

Cool you got your camper from your neighbor, and I'm sure he was glad to find it a good new home for it, as he surely has many fond memories. Looks well cared for and should provide you with a new way for adventure.

Congrats,

Poky

Hey, do you ski up at Snowbasin?  I love that place.  Ogden looks like a pretty great place to be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction, new, hello

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users