• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

A new lift system: An ingenious mechanical advantage system or replace the laminated wood panels with stamped aluminum panels for longevity.

Smooth siding: Although it is simply for aesthetics it would give the camper a more modern look. I know the metal siding is to allow flex & the smooth siding is not supposed to flex, but I have a hard time buying that. You can't tell me a 40' toy hauler driving through the desert does not flex.

Kudos to ATC for this approach (listen to the customer) though I can't help but be reminded of an episode of the Simpsons when Homer is asked to design The Car of The Future. Homer told the engineers "I wan't a horn here, & here, & here, & here, you can never find a horn when your mad" good luck Marty listening to all us "Homers"

#32 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

First, I agree... thanks Marty for asking the question..

I've had my camper for a few years now and one of the things that I've realized is that we all use our campers differently. No kidding, right?:eek:

My first camper was a LOADED Grandby. Great camper, didn't use all of the stuff much because I live outside when I camp.

Next camper was a Panther Shell that you guys did a great job of modifying for me.

Now for my two cents...
1) I like the narrower camper. Especially when going through narrow trails and general driving. I got so used to four-wheeling with my old Landcruiser that having a vehicle that only extended as far out as my mirrors is perfect. "Vehicles are closer than they appear...:cool:) Thanks for making mine narrow.
2) Wired for solar... thanks for doing that too.
3) Extra aluminum on the back and sides for attaching things to. Thanks for doing that one on my rig.
4) .... the lower bunk. That is one of my pet peeves. I'm modifying my bed now. I agree with one of the other posts recommending a bed that goes across the entire lower part of the camper. I've got a couple of ideas about how I'm going to do it I just haven't made a final decision.

Now... that being said, these are great campers and an excellent starting point that many people are extremely happy with out of the shop. Something else that is apparent from reading many of the threads on WTW is that many of us are born tinkerers or WTB born tinkerers and like messing around with the camper you guys make.

Marty, Jeff and Ben... you guys have a great camper the biggest drawback that I see is a significant lack of marketing. FWC has been in the business for a long time and has a huge following, as well they should.

You guys understand the builds of both campers so well that the changes you've made, while significant to you are not always immediately noticeable to the general buyer. You need something to make you stand out. Whether that is to make a Green Camper... or something else that will make a strong distinction between the two products you need to offer a significant difference while still maintaining the basic simplicity and usefulness of this camper style...

I guess that was more than two cents..... take it for what it's worth:)
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#33 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Marty,

After a bit more thought, I believe a floor plan similar to the Alaskan 8' C/O dinette is it. Here's a link. This is what Pods8 describes in post 6, and I've had a change of heart on the CG.

Key changes:
  • rear galley
  • front dinette
  • Greater extension of cab over -- shoot for 60"
  • enclosed toilet area/wardrobe/storage
  • Maybe use a bladder tank for water under the dinette step up?

:D If you build this, I can maybe talk the wife into a new one in 2010... If not, I'll try to build it myself. :eek:

Edited by ScottBailey, 16 April 2009 - 05:02 PM.
credit pods

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#34 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:04 AM

I have gleaned from the posts in this thread what I think are the best suggestions and added a couple of my own, as follows;

1) Modularity – can this actually be done while keeping weight down. If so, it fits with Masterplumbers idea of a working dudes dual use camper.
2) Masterplumber has excellent ideas.
3) 2 burner stove (rather than 1, 3, or 4)
4) An optional charcoal bricket yacht stove for heating and winter camping to go with a yacht quality interior. A winter camping unit.
5) Stock reinforced mounting points for external accessories
6) Stock wiring for Fantastic Fan and solar collectors.
7) Rope tie downs rather than turn buckles, including centering blocks of some kind.

-John D

#35 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

Marty-

My first pick up camper was a 1988 Skamper 060s. I got rid of that run down heavy old monster a decade ago, but everytime I think about that camper the one thing I still REALLY miss was the under-bed storage. There was enough room for two people to hold a week's worth of clothes and then some. Obviously this might not be possible with an extended bed model, but man it would be GOLD if you could incorporate something like this in the future.

#36 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

We like our rather simple solution very much.
http://www.wanderthe...read.php?p=8753
and you are welcome to the details.

If a dinette had been an option, though, we would most likely have gotten it.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#37 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Using the pics on this website as an example,

http://homepage.mac....hotoAlbum3.html

I would move the galley forward (refer to the very front), putting the dinette at the back of the truck. I would attach the dinette table to the galley counter doing double duty as an extension of the galley counter, or to lower and swing out as a dinette table. The porta potti would sit under the galley side dinette seat. Seat back cushions would be removable triangles.

The materials used for the dinette in this model are very attractive and look to be lightweight.

#38 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

I would move the galley forward (refer to the very front), putting the dinette at the back of the truck. I would attach the dinette table to the galley counter doing double duty as an extension of the galley counter, or to lower and swing out as a dinette table.

See I don't see this working that great (in my head at least) because when the table is in place you can't get back into the galley without moving it and it would block your path in/out of the camper. Sounds like headaches that are avoided with the dinette up front.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#39 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Sounds like headaches that are avoided with the dinette up front.

Pods,

It's up to you to build this prototype. I know you can do it... I'd do it, but I need someone to grant me the cash for tools, materials, etc...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#40 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

Pods,

It's up to you to build this prototype. I know you can do it... I'd do it, but I need someone to grant me the cash for tools, materials, etc...

If the camper I bought didn't have the propane box 8" away from the front wall you could have considered it done. Unfortunately I'd be doing some decently major rework to accomplish something like this (rip out the fridge to put the propane box there, locate an engle fridge under a seat or on the opposite side of the camper, etc). Ideally if one was to pursue this it would probably be best to get a shell with some framework openings to your specifications. Definately would be fun but I've got my fingers in this camper, a house remodel, and trying to get in the outdoors as much as possible... ;) I'm going to shoot for making up my "do it all couch" design with the current rig, I'm currently trying to wrap up my cabinet rework (and then I have a load of new doors for the house that need to be stained/poly coated) but will eventually get to it.

Edit: However if someone actually wanted to pursue something like this and wanted help designing and such I'd pitch in as time allowed. I don't do ACAD on a daily basis but can bully my way through it.

Edited by pods8, 21 April 2009 - 10:02 PM.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users