#41 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

Where I would have been right now:

Redfish Camera

If you do not get a current image, refresh the browser.

Redfish Lake is about five miles South of Stanley, ID, which is about 40 miles SW of yesterday's 6.5 earthquake ( felt like about a 5 in Boise 100 miles away).

It is frustrating for all who love the outdoors to not travel to our favorite spots. In Idaho we have a somewhat conflicting set of rules: OK for outdoor recreation such as hiking, but non-essential travel is prohibited. Well, how you supposed to get to the trailheads? But Ski's links convinced me not to go. Even though I XC ski on snow covered roads in flat areas where risk of injury is about zero, the truck could break down or slide off the road requiring help and putting the responders at risk and taking them away from serving others.

One fun way to spend time is watching outdoor webcams, such as National Parks, and also zoo cams.

Edited by ski3pin, 01 April 2020 - 06:41 PM.

#42 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

Delete the "htp://" from the front of the link.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#43 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:42 PM

Delete the "htp://" from the front of the link.

Paul

link repaired

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

<snip>

A friend went to Big Bend and turned around as he witnessed the mob of people.

I saw a report on another website forum that NPS rangers checked Saline Valley Warm Springs in Death Valley National Park last weekend and found 50 people there.

People have the ability to be smarter and better than this. Please get with the program and stay home.

I want this all behind us as quickly as possible so we can get out exploring again.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

Yep, ya got that right Ski, from what I hear from my old contacts, allot of people who usually never play out there (legally that is ) are out there now. Remember how during the last govt shutdown  all the damage that was done, sort of like when the cat was away the mice do play!  Same thing is going on now and if I did decide to go play out there, I'd get mad, forget I'm retired, and get in trouble. We just have to wait this out, look at all  those great old TRs here,  and as bad as it sounds, maybe let Darwin take care of the rest!  In the mean time, I feel lucky to live somewhere where I can walk the dog, watch the deer  and know in better times, in 10 minutes I'll be out there playing in the high desert again!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 01 April 2020 - 07:54 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#46 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:52 PM

Hey Smoke

Just remember....the places we all love are likely full of "campers" all clustered together playing human games.

Gotta wait a while, maybe a generation !

David Graves

#47 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

Living in places like ours hear we can get out and have a nice walk every day.

Lots of "nature" to see and basically no other people.

Our house area although it's a sub division, it's out in the county amid the artichoke and strawberry fields.

Saw a good view about out walking during our shut down. If you have to drive someplace to walk don't.

All we can do is look after our own family circle and stay well and safe.Also try to stay away from the idiots out there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#48 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:30 PM

Sharon saw on Facebook how to turn a bandana into a cloth face mask.

Not a bad idea.We'll have fun with this.

This is either protection or we're getting ready to rob a 7-11

Frank

IMG_4660 (1).jpeg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#49 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:44 PM

I haven't really gotten to experience the full extent of staying at home as I'm still working full time. Not much longer. I gave notice the other day. Seven working days to go. I'm as anxious as anyone to hit the road but but the years of putting things off have left me plenty of deferred maintenance and cleaning to do. Maybe I'll even start that heater repair in the truck I"ve been putting off. Be nice to have heat on the feet again. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#50 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:14 AM

Interesting statement my gal heard:

The virus does not travel, people travel.  If the people stay still the virus dies and does not travel.

Heard today that 6 feet may not be enough distance separation.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users