49 replies to this topic

#31 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

I have been trained, maybe over-trained, in management, supervisory, conflict management, risk communication and such. An important consideration is that roughly 5% of all people have a somewhat short term bout of mental illness and roughly 2% of people are pegged hard over into always crazy. In either case, none of the nifty conflict management, de-escalation techniques will work. Your best hope is to get away as quickly as possible.

Only 2%? But joking aside - as I told someone one time - I'm a runner. I learned the hard way that sometimes nothing else works. 

#32 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

Teledork- so sorry you ran up against the crazies, but don’t let them keep you down. Get out, keep calm, remember that your fears are rarely ever realized, but listen to your gut.

I am a female solo traveler, and have never run up against anything like you described. But I will admit I haven’t been out much since Covid. Sounds like you did everything right, but suffered retribution anyway. But are you going to let them win, or keep doing what you want to do?

Some great comments here. I have always been so impressed with the quality of guys on WTW. Not your average Joes. They welcome the rare female voice here. I will be awaiting the report back from Julies friends.

I too refuse to go the firearm route. But I do sleep with mace and a knife handy. One of the reasons I let go of my beloved ATC Bobcat was that I couldn’t get from back to front without exiting.

Thank you for sharing your story. We can all benefit from the experience, and think through options in advance to be prepared.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#33 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:29 AM

Only 2%? But joking aside - as I told someone one time - I'm a runner. I learned the hard way that sometimes nothing else works. 

As a student employee for the U. S. Geological Survey back in the 70's, I had a chance to meet some of the old-timers. One of my favorites that had been there since the dawn of everything, was Cecil A Thomas, he initialed everything CAT, so you just knew he was cool. He told me and two other student interns once about how he (at about 5 ft 2 inches and 80 years old) "...used to be a great guy in a fight, (pause for effect) for the first hundred yards!"

Wisdom, wrapped in humor! Best wishes for your further adventures.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

From a DV counselor: "you cannot reason with an unreasonable person". 

The Rosenberg book has been mentioned in my Sangha (Buddhist community) I just ordered a copy. 

The concept of meeting someone where they is both important and difficult. I've used it in a therapeutic situation when bodywork results in emotional release. The manner in which it could be used to diffuse a situation is probably similar to talking someone down off a ledge. You have provided a banquet for thought here! 

There is a powerful story in the book about a lady who talks down an addict who has a knife at her throat.  Took her 30 minutes, and we don't know about folks who may have tried it and it didn't work  :(  but still.  

#35 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:19 PM

Teledork- so sorry you ran up against the crazies, but don’t let them keep you down. Get out, keep calm, remember that your fears are rarely ever realized, but listen to your gut.

I am a female solo traveler, and have never run up against anything like you described. But I will admit I haven’t been out much since Covid. Sounds like you did everything right, but suffered retribution anyway. But are you going to let them win, or keep doing what you want to do?

Some great comments here. I have always been so impressed with the quality of guys on WTW. Not your average Joes. They welcome the rare female voice here. I will be awaiting the report back from Julies friends.

I too refuse to go the firearm route. But I do sleep with mace and a knife handy. One of the reasons I let go of my beloved ATC Bobcat was that I couldn’t get from back to front without exiting.

Thank you for sharing your story. We can all benefit from the experience, and think through options in advance to be prepared.

I was a little disappointed that the Bobcat lacks a slider window - but mostly because of the dogs. I had a 4wheel camper with a slider for 12 years. Yes. I left the slider unlatched at night so I could crawl through if necessary but, as you said, my fears were never realized.

There are some things I am willing to let go of. I don't know if I will ever go back to Horseshoe Meadows. I have always hated that road (I worked for the Forest Service in that area for a couple of years) and the risk, as small as it may be, of sharing it with sociopaths just isn't worth it for me. But for the most part I am far too stubborn to let "them win". 

But yeah - being proactive. I now have a can of wasp spray in one of my many cupholders and I could not sleep last night so I was watching Youtube videos on techniques for increasing accuracy with a slingshot. 

A line from a song I wrote many years ago: "I don't want to hurt nobody, I just want to make them dance".

#36 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Great attitude,don't let them get you down.

I like that line from the song you wrote.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#37 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

I think I'd have invited the Sheriff over for a chat. I'm sorry you keep meeting these whackos. It was truly a crazy weekend. 

I heard from a friend in Mammoth (who has a scanner) just how crazy it was. If you know the beach on June Lake - illegal parking, people unable to leave because they were blocked in, 600! - yes, 600 people on the beach including - and I think this wins the prize - a couple of families riding ATVs on that same beach! Apparently FS called in assistance from Mono County Sheriff and Mammoth PD to clear and close the beach altogether. There is an entrance booth which I'll bet is not being staffed so the typical humanoid anarchy ensued. 

People are leaving campfires burning and human excrement and trash everywhere. Someone had a tent set up between two businesses right on Hwy 203 in town and others had driven in on a hiking trail to set up camp. There were numerous SAR calls and a multi-car accident (with1 fatality and 7 other injuries) involving a cow. MLPD issued more speeding tickets than they ever have in a single day. Law enforcement was called to a Mammoth motel when a customer flat out refused to follow the mask rules and refused to take his refunded money and leave. 

This is why we can't have nice things. 

edit to add: the multi -car accident, the four in one vehicle (including the fatality) - none were wearing seat belts and there may not have been a cow

I'm going backpacking - put at least 15 miles between me and the loonies. 

Edited by teledork, 28 July 2020 - 10:55 PM.

#38 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

Great attitude,don't let them get you down.

I like that line from the song you wrote.

Frank

That line was written after a day of practice when I kept shooting the dirt below the target. As my dad pointed out it was because I was pulling instead of squeezing the trigger. BASS - breath, aim, sight, squeeze. I got better.

#39 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

This is what happens when you try to "reason" with children instead of a smack on the butt or everything is pass/fail and you just don't fail anyone because it would be bad for their self esteem.... What self esteem! Takes work and effort to have that....! We have created a couple generations of it's not my responsibility or fault kids....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#40 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:59 PM

This is what happens when you try to "reason" with children instead of a smack on the butt or everything is pass/fail and you just don't fail anyone because it would be bad for their self esteem.... What self esteem! Takes work and effort to have that....! We have created a couple generations of it's not my responsibility or fault kids....

Yup. I taught elementary school. I did not retire - I quit. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users