Photo

Questions regarding "So, you want to setup a good electrical system in your camper?"

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#121 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 December 2022 - 06:22 PM

A component source I like to use for "true" Anderson connectors is Powerwerks. For the 120 connectors they have a list of cable gauge options:

https://powerwerx.co...rs-sb120-120amp

#122 Gumbus

Gumbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:50 PM

Thanks Tacoma, that is the sort of thing that would mount the Anderson SB120 cleanly.

Where do the rest of you adventurers insert the CB on the house battery side of the DC2DC power line. Meaning do you sequence DC/DC charger - CB - Battery or CB - DC/DC charger - battery?

#123 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:57 PM

There are mounts for an Anderson SB120, such as the one below:

https://www.amazon.c...155551245&psc=1

The description calls it a "Trailer Vision 120A Battery Quick Connector Protective Cover Mount Fits SB 120 Gauge 6-2 AWG 120 Amp Anderson Plug Assembly"

I like this, but it still does not address getting the wires through the sheet metal of the truck box.  

I used a pair of these for the bulkhead connection - Amazon.com: Moroso 74144 Red Thru Panel Connector : Automotive

#124 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:45 PM

Thank you Vic for this very informative thread. With respect to running 4awg from the truck batt to the Victron Orion Tr Smart 30A and 100AH LiFe battery:

2. So many differing opinions where to put the CB near the camper battery (LiFe). Do you recommend the CB (80A) between the Batt and the DC/DC charger?

My DCDC charger is quite close, about 3' of 6g wire.  I do not protect that wire with a fuse or circuit breaker.  My wires are quite visible to me, and there are no metal bits where it could easily wear through and short.  YMMV.

#125 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:15 PM

I like this, but it still does not address getting the wires through the sheet metal of the truck box.  

I used a pair of these for the bulkhead connection - Amazon.com: Moroso 74144 Red Thru Panel Connector : Automotive

I thought a simple grommet was adequate. Now I need to upgrade. Someday :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#126 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:51 PM

I thought a simple grommet was adequate. Now I need to upgrade. Someday :)

LOL, I used a simple grommet for years. 

#127 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:44 AM

I met a guy back in '96 (!) at the NESEA Tour del Sol who was using Lithium based batteries in his company's EV's then. He had gotten into the gas cloud created when one of those battery packs over-heated and he spent months in the hospital. I met him nearly a year after he got out of the hospital and he looked and walked like a Polio survivor.

If a Lithium battery over-heats you do not want to breathe those gasses. Lithium is a heavy metal, something that the human body has no good method of getting out of it's system. Look at the whole lead paint debacle, and the origin behind the "Mad Hatter" stories from Mercury ingestion.

Vent the box.

Edited by ntsqd, 07 December 2022 - 03:45 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#128 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 04:15 PM

I met a guy back in '96 (!) at the NESEA Tour del Sol who was using Lithium based batteries in his company's EV's then. He had gotten into the gas cloud created when one of those battery packs over-heated and he spent months in the hospital. I met him nearly a year after he got out of the hospital and he looked and walked like a Polio survivor.

If a Lithium battery over-heats you do not want to breathe those gasses. Lithium is a heavy metal, something that the human body has no good method of getting out of it's system. Look at the whole lead paint debacle, and the origin behind the "Mad Hatter" stories from Mercury ingestion.

Vent the box.

Not all Li battery chemistry is the same...from what I read the LiFePO4 batteries do not suffer from ignition or gas loss...of course I could be wrong...

#129 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 04:46 PM

It's not worth the risk. He was seriously screwed up and would be for the rest of his life.

Let's look at it differently; what do you gain from not sealing and venting the battery box? They still need to be somewhere accessible. That puts them at or near an outer wall somewhere. Even if you're not accessing them from the outside the higher priority needs of the floor plan will still have them around the edges somewhere.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#130 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 05:15 PM

It's not worth the risk. He was seriously screwed up and would be for the rest of his life.

Let's look at it differently; what do you gain from not sealing and venting the battery box? They still need to be somewhere accessible. That puts them at or near an outer wall somewhere. Even if you're not accessing them from the outside the higher priority needs of the floor plan will still have them around the edges somewhere.

I concur...it always comes down to % of assumption of risk by the individual ..and as stated at least my '16 Hawk is vented by FWC; which in the world of lead/acid batteries is sufficient but un-needed for my BB LiFePO4 battery....I take exception to any government entity telling me I must seal and vent the battery box and I have yet to see the Oregon statute that declares that I must seal and vent a Li battery box...in my world it is about the individual deciding...

In the end we all make our own choices; or a least we should.   B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users