Insuring a FWC through USAA

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

I’ve been a USAA customer for 38 years. Been thru 2 hurricanes. 5 stars. Never any headaches or problems. You need to be careful though about how you word your request. If you say you need RV insurance they will immediately send you to Progressive as they do not cover motorized rv’s. However, they do underwrite trailers or truck shell/camper. So be accurate in your explanation and make sure they understand what you have.

#32 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:48 PM

FYI my Farmers (Foremost) policy gives me full replacement value for my Fleet. $32/month.

#33 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:30 PM

Definitely a tangle of issues when purchasing insurance for anything, but for my Hawk especially since the concept of a FWC style camper attached to the bed of a pickup truck seems difficult to convey.  I called my Farmers agent and spent a lot of time going over the details of our policies; many pit falls to be certain.  Hawk was not covered for collision only comp; went back to USAA today and ran completely through the quotes I received yesterday.

USAA has three categories of what can be attached to the bed of a pickup and be insured: a flat topper, a camper cover [think "Gem Top"] and the last one is a "Camper Body" which can be attached or detached and contains a sink, stove, etc....in essence this "Camper Body" designation fits the FWC perfectly.  USAA adds our Hawk to the quote and declaration page of the policy as being covered by all the element of the policy that the Tundra is covered by and at no additional expense.  Includes comp and collision.

Could I buy a Progressive replacement policy for the Hawk and not go with the Actual Value of the Tundra policy? Sure and in the end it might make sense.  Don't know if the Progressive would provide comp insurance as in the Tundra Policy or all the liability coverage.

Still mulling it over but about 99% sure to jump from Farmers to USAA for our Autos, Homeowners and Umbrella Policy. It will save us about $2K a year for the same and sometimes better coverage.  Will add Progressive motorcycle coverage later.

Also we use the "storage" feature seasonally and USAA does cover that if storage is at least for 30 days.  USAA also has a multi-policy discount called a "Bundle Discount"; not a lot but it all helps.

#34 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:52 PM

WHAT motorcycle ???

#35 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 July 2021 - 01:19 PM

WHAT motorcycle ???

Three to be accurate:  '69 TR6; '07 GSA; and, '08 WR250R....the last two are off road bikes.

Made the jump from Farmers to USAA as of July 1, today.  Three vehicles, homeowners and umbrella.  Coverage better or equal and saved about 1K a year...time will tell, but I grew tired of being milked for insurance and never really knowing the details; yes, it took three days of 3 hours a day phone calls, but now I have a grasp of what is insured.  My attitude about insurance is that it preys on fear of loss and personally I will not buy into that.  Enough is enough.

'16 Hawk has full coverage, same as Tundra,  but at ACV; will investigate if it worth going for full replacement on Hawk.  Surprisingly I priced out a new Hawk with the options we have the price is 12K higher than we paid in '16; ouch!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 01 July 2021 - 04:15 PM.

#36 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:22 AM

Thanks Phil,

I’ve been on USAA since ‘95, nothing but good things to say. We insure all our vehicles, homeowners, lots of financial instruments, they’ve been great.

We have not looked into insuring our Hawk, and recently learned we need to plate it in WA (grrr), so your experience with USAA is super helpful.

Dave

#37 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Phil also for sharing your research.

I have a Grandby Shell, which does not have an installed stove or sink.....dam expensive truck canopy I guess.

I am gonna speak with USAA also and possibly insure the new rig thru them.

My biggest concern at this stage in life is assurance that my INVESTMENT be insured against loss.

One can always buy another camper....

David Graves

#38 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Phil also for sharing your research.

I have a Grandby Shell, which does not have an installed stove or sink.....dam expensive truck canopy I guess.

I am gonna speak with USAA also and possibly insure the new rig thru them.

My biggest concern at this stage in life is assurance that my INVESTMENT be insured against loss.

One can always buy another camper....

David Graves

David,

Just for me the USAA has hit all the marks; plus, their information is easily available on-line and concise.  "Stage in life"?  Yup, I hear you, I am 78+ and that is exactly why I was getting tired of being pushed and pulled by insurance demands and hype.  Time came for me to call the shots.

Phil  

#39 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

Three to be accurate:  '69 TR6; '07 GSA; and, '08 WR250R....the last two are off road bikes.

An 07 GSA is an off road bike?

#40 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:44 PM

An 07 GSA is an off road bike?

You bet, with mods, it was better at off road than I was a rider....only gripe was the 19" front wheel; WR 21" front wheel off road made a huge difference..GSA did everything I asked of it, but again not for long tight single tracks...torque pulled me out of "compromised" situations many times...rock solid and dependable; of course when it took 'naps' it was a grunt to tilt back upright...did several 2K dirt cross country[OR,ID,MT,Wy] trips....I named it [first time I have done that]..."Timex" after a particularly gruesome BOM "Road To Hell" battle...It [and I] "Took a beating and kept on ticking"... B)

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 12 July 2021 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users