43 replies to this topic

#31 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2022 - 01:48 AM

May depend on your truck brand. My 2010 Tundra came with covers for the truck side and tailgate side camera connectors  and a strong admonition to install the dust covers so as to keep both ends clean and dry in the event I removed the tailgate.

There was a bag in the glove box with those parts and instructions.

I would check with a dealer or a body repair business. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 January 2022 - 02:25 AM

Is there a blank (no wiring) cover to reseal that large connector feeding the tailgate when removed? Something better than a plastic bag.

There is on my 2015 Chev

#33 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

My 2017 Chev came with a blank in the glove box. Traded to a 2020 , no blank, and the connector was 4 times bigger and a pain to seal off. Ordered the harness with the tailgate camera last week. ($95 CDN) I will make a box and mount it under the door. 

#34 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 January 2022 - 03:30 PM

IMG_0874.PNG My 2017 has the 8 pin connector behind the bumper. It currently has a factory cover on it as my truck was not equipped with the tailgate cam. Here is the cam I have on order. It comes with a 8 pin harness that plugs into the factory provided plug. The camera can be mounted with a license plate bracket or with the provided smaller bracket for the location of your choice. I will initially instal on the license plate. When I receive my camper, I will instal it up on the door with the smaller bracket.

#35 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:40 AM

IMG_0889.jpg It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just received my programer from OBDGENIE, plugged it into the truck, put it in reverse, and just like that my radio turned into a backup camera display!

Just to recap: 

-Truck did not come with any BU camera.

-Dealer said my trucks system was not wired or compatible with a camera. (Wrong!)

-I located harness under truck

-Installed and plugged in Camera Source, license frame cam

-Plugged in programer

Now I have a back up cam! When the Hawk arrives i will move the camera up on the door.

Epic when things come together

#36 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:02 AM

Very cool! I checked out OBDGENIE and asked them if I could add a second camera for our 2021 RAM. You'll love having one on your camper.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#37 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:08 PM

I just wish it was hooked up last week. Last Friday it was raining, I got in my truck, looked in my rearview mirror and proceeded to reverses. Crunch! There was a little Honda hiding out of sight under my tail gate. Dooooh! Would have seen it with the cam.

Where would you mount a second camera?

#38 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:02 PM

I am eagerly awaiting a new head unit for my 2015 Silverado. It will have 4 camera inputs! One will be the stock backup camera, and two will be front mounted such that I can see wheel placement for driving on rougher roads/trails.

#39 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:48 PM

two will be front mounted such that I can see wheel placement for driving on rougher roads/trails.

Ahhh kinda like a built in spotter! Nice.

#40 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:50 PM

Ahhh kinda like a built in spotter! Nice.

exactly.  My significant other enjoys rougher roads a LOT less if she has to be running ahead all the time.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users