89 replies to this topic

#41 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

You could always use a service like photobucket. Its free and works on all sites. Not hard at all to learn to use.

That's a great point, Craig! :)

If a Member doesn't want to use a WTW Gallery as the repository for your photos, then using a photo-hosting site like photobucket or smugmug, or picasa, etc. as the source for inserting an image eliminates most of the tricky parts of posting photos on WTW.
Then you just use the "Insert image" tool from the Posting toolbar, where the arrow is pointing in the screenshot below:

Posted Image

using the "URL" for the image at the photo-hosting site, then click "Insert Image".
Or use the forum code (like the BBCode in the WTW galleries) supplied by the photo-hosting site.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#42 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

Thats what I do. Just paste the img code right into the message. Pretty simple. Of course photobucket does make you view ads now but its a small price to pay.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#43 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

That's a great point, Craig! :)

If a Member doesn't want to use a WTW Gallery as the repository for your photos, then using a photo-hosting site like photobucket or smugmug, or picasa, etc. as the source for inserting an image eliminates most of the tricky parts of posting photos on WTW.
Then you just use the "Insert image" tool from the Posting toolbar, where the arrow is pointing in the screenshot below:

Posted Image

using the "URL" for the image at the photo-hosting site, then click "Insert Image".
Or use the forum code (like the BBCode in the WTW galleries) supplied by the photo-hosting site.

Just know that if you insert code from a photo hosting site, your photos won't ever appear on the home page of WTW. :( That appears to be reserved for those that are willing to load photos to WTW directly.

I find it's a better strategy to have ONE site where I upload photos (smugmug) and from there I can 'share' images to FB, WTW, other websites or email. Besides, the WTW photo interface is just lame. I know, DirtyDog did a good job with aging software, but still photos are a big part of this site. I would like to see a better interface or better support (and recognition) of third party sites, i.e. photobucket, flicker, smugmug, etc.
~end mini-photo-rant :D

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#44 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Just know that if you insert code from a photo hosting site, your photos won't ever appear on the home page of WTW. :( That appears to be reserved for those that are willing to load photos to WTW directly.

It's not really that photos on non-WTW site are being specifically excluded from those "recent" featured. Those shown on the Forum home page show what's been most-recently uploaded to geographic-specific Galleries, and title says "Recent Gallery Images". So, if it's not in a WTW Gallery then naturally it won't be a "recent Gallery image", and appearing in a post isn't the same thing as being in a Gallery.
That "Recent Gallery Images" set also doesn't display images uploaded to WTW Member galleries, even public ones, only geographic-specific galleries.

I think it's intended to enable or promote the use of geographic-specific galleries as a resource for people interested in browsing what different areas look like. So, if you keep your photos in a non-WTW repository then that doesn't help people who want to just browse a geographic-specific Gallery.

WTW does currently support non-WTW-hosted photo sites, in that you can post photos in Topics without uploading to the Galleries...but I agree that uploading to Galleries could be easier.

#45 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

<snip> [T]he WTW photo interface is just lame. I know, DirtyDog did a good job with aging software, but...<snip>

What he said. ^^^

#46 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Those shown on the Forum home page show what's been most-recently uploaded to geographic-specific Galleries . . .

Well I learned something. I had no idea how the Recent Images were selected, but knew that off site links didn't make the cut. Encouraging geo-specific imaging is ok, but even then I may want to show a place, but may not want to give away the GPS coords <_<

Still, I think the main comment I wish to impress is to encourage a platform to welcome lqhiker and everyone to share their visuals. I think there's an app for that. ;)
And . . . no snarks meant by that. I fully appreciate the site team for stepping up and enabling conversations like this one. I support the efforts to maintain and evolve this excellent site.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#47 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Encouraging geo-specific imaging is ok, but even then I may want to show a place, but may not want to give away the GPS coords <_<

Actually, all I meant by "geographic-specific" was how the Gallery is organized into geographic areas: first by state -- e.g., "California", and then by region within the state -- e.g., "Eastern Sierra/Mammoth Lakes"; No GPS coords.
This is what you see if you click on "Gallery" at the top of any WTW page:

Posted Image

BTW: "Recent Photos" are nothing more than the 6 most-recent photos uploaded to any of those Galleries, not selected as "featured" or anything like that. And as soon another photo(s) is uploaded to a Gallery it bumps that many photos off the "recent".

And as I've said before, I agree that there are funky aspects to the process of uploading to a Gallery which could be...nay, should be, improved. :)
But us "Site Team" members have no power over that -- only the all-powerful "Administrators" can alter the fabric of the universe.

Anyway...once you have a photo loaded to anywhere on the web (WTW Gallery, photobucket, chidlaw.com, etc.), the method used to insert that photo into a post (like, how I inserted that screenshot above) is the same as used by most forums...at least, it's the same as other forums I've used. I don't know of a simpler method that would insert an image inline with the text of a post.

Are there specific examples (of inserting an image) that could be pointed to that might be easier to use (ideally, without losing anything desirable)?
Links to "better way" examples are welcome. Posted Image

#48 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

See here if the Photo Posting explanations above aren't quite doing it for you and you want more help.

#49 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Mark i really understand your wiliness to help,but just reading the above posts by people who do post pictures and still are confused.

it is hard for someone who's main interest is not in setting in front of a computer to wade through all the
steps it takes to post pictures on a site,and i am not just blaming wtw i'm blaming the industry
that thinks every one is a computer expert.

until the industry realizes this i guess i will struggle along as i do.

i sure will be glad when i can pick up my new rig so i can get away from this keyboard!

meanwhile all you members that post pictures keep them coming as they really do make the posts
worthwhile!

back to my 3rd cup of coffee now.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,lqhikers

#50 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

<snip>

i sure will be glad when i can pick up my new rig so i can get away from this keyboard!

<snip>

Good to see priorities in the right place! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users