Photo
- - - - -

Solar Cable Routing (not pre-wired at factory)

rebuild restore eagle wiring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Serat

Serat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:49 PM

HI All,

I'm getting near the end of the restoration of my 2000 Eagle.  I need some advice on routing the cables behind the folding panels.  The picture is of the cable entering through the roof, going behind the panels, and then disappearing through the counter to the electronics bay below.  This is how I want it to run but those 10AWG cables are stiff.

My question is how much of a service loop exists in the cable behind the panels?  Does it go pretty much straight down the panel edges or does it loop toward the center of the camper?  When the top is down there is room for cables only near the rear wall.  Out at the apex of the panel-fold there is not room.  So I know I want to keep them forced back where there is space.  But how?  

I checked how my lighting wires were run behind the front panels but didn't get any good info from that.  Could someone explain to me how their cables are set up?  Are they attached in some way other than tape?

Thanks in advance,

Serat

Attached Thumbnails

• solar cables small.jpg

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

Just tape on mine, but the wires are super supple.  In fact, some have noticed that over time the factory wires crack/short out and have replaced them with high quality super flexible marine grade wires.  Your picture makes me wonder if you are using the same wire inside as are on the solar panels.. that stuff is super stiff and not likely to work in this application.

#3 Serat

Serat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 August 2023 - 04:01 PM

I am using the same stuff. I didn't realize there was a better cable. Is the marine stuff the same wire gauge (10AWG)?
Maybe more research is in order.
Thanks so much for the reply.

#4 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 01 August 2023 - 04:28 PM

For the interior of my 2007 Bobcat I used #10 gauge silicone wire - which barely fits along the channel on the top surface of the over the cab bed platform.

https://www.amazon.c...831407578&psc=1

The silicone jacketed wire is comprised of many thin strands and is very flexible.  It's fine for an interior install.  On the roof,  I prefer the more robust MC4 cables that have a thicker less pliable insulated covering.

https://powerwerx.co...on-cable-pair-5

Andrew in Austin, TX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuild, restore, eagle, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users