58 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

looking at the pictures again.this looks like it was a custom job not the size of the present day hawk.was this made in denver or just sold through a dealer there?

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

looking at the pictures again.this looks like it was a custom job not the size of the present day hawk.was this made in denver or just sold through a dealer there?

Yes, in Denver. I am pretty sure they are all the same width, the only difference is the part below the window - which appears to be all wood (someone could have cut out the framing possibly?). Someone did add the wheel well part and modify the bottom, that is for sure - and they added the front cap that I removed. I do plan on redoing the part below the windows to maximize fit to my bed. I don't have the exact measurement but it is made to fit a 6' bed, mine is about 8" short of that so it will stick out (possible leave tailgate on).

Toying with the idea of using sheet diamond plate up top at the bed area instead of plywood - solves a rot issue..

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

For $200 you got quite a project. Be fun watching this one progress.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

Toying with the idea of using sheet diamond plate up top at the bed area instead of plywood - solves a rot issue..

I think just the move away from MDF to a vinyl coated plywood has generally taken away that issue. I know someone else replaced the overhang panel and they just used plywood with some solid coats of epoxy paint or such. Basically having a wood that isn't so prone to water damage (like MDF) seems to go a long way.

As I linked in the thread you purchased from, that glidden floor & porch polyurethane stain builds up a nice looking protection layer. I sanded the bottom wood on my rig and put 3 coats on it and it did a good job of basically sealing up all the little weather cracks in the surface. It'd probably do well for the bed panel as well (I think they make it in a whitish color as well to match the camper).

Diamond plate seems like it'd flex if kept thin/light or be rather heavy if not.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:59 AM

Yes, in Denver. I am pretty sure they are all the same width, the only difference is the part below the window - which appears to be all wood (someone could have cut out the framing possibly?). Someone did add the wheel well part and modify the bottom, that is for sure - and they added the front cap that I removed. I do plan on redoing the part below the windows to maximize fit to my bed. I don't have the exact measurement but it is made to fit a 6' bed, mine is about 8" short of that so it will stick out (possible leave tailgate on).

brandon,mine sticks out 8",just to the end of the bumper.don't think you need the tailgate for that short of a distance.the campers made for short bed trucks all seem to just hang the extra distance over the back,no problem.seems like diamond plate might get slippery,just a thought.frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

brandon,mine sticks out 8",just to the end of the bumper.don't think you need the tailgate for that short of a distance.the campers made for short bed trucks all seem to just hang the extra distance over the back,no problem.seems like diamond plate might get slippery,just a thought.frank

Snuck out for a bit between feeding dogs, and putting the munchkins to sleep. Gettin' down to the frame! B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

[quote name='Brandon' date='02 March 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1267588809' post='32192']
Snuck out for a bit between feeding dogs, and putting the munchkins to sleep. Gettin' down to the frame! B)

Posted Image

Posted Image
[/quote

boy brandon you have quite a project there.i'am saving a site in yellowstone this year will you be ready?not much left to tear apart.frank

#18 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:27 AM

Wow, what a cool project.

I don't know how much time you have, but reading old posts, you could add in all those things that some of us wish we had......extra lights....water storage....reinforced walls so we can hang fuel/water cans off the back....places to attach home made arctic packs.....2nd ceiling vent.....

I think a lot of us secretly wish we could do this. But, time, money, and the fact we would rather be out in the woods probably tells me it will never happen.

dave

#19 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

Wow, what a cool project.

I don't know how much time you have, but reading old posts, you could add in all those things that some of us wish we had......extra lights....water storage....reinforced walls so we can hang fuel/water cans off the back....places to attach home made arctic packs.....2nd ceiling vent.....

I think a lot of us secretly wish we could do this. But, time, money, and the fact we would rather be out in the woods probably tells me it will never happen.

dave

Nobody knows what would be cool more than people that have campers already so any input much appreciated!!

With 2 kids I am weighing the advantages of built in storage vs portable storage (water, stoves, etc). I first want to maximize the inside space (redoing the lower part) then get creative with stuff inside. Thinking fold down bunk beds on the side where the sink was, possibly a low profile sink/stove etc under the window side or near the cab. Definitely at least one more vent, different siding, flooring, etc. As for time I really only have maybe 3 hours into it so far, and it has only been a week. I am more of a turtle than a rabbit with projects but I try to do just a little something every day to get it done.

#20 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

While the walls and floor are stripped, I would consider planning a path for future wires to be snaked from one side of the camper to the other.

Also, (and I cannot remember who recommended this originally) you can "mock up" the camping space and pretend to use it with your family to see how it might play. Not only does this help the design process, it's potentially fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users