58 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

Definitely run some wiring. Lights on all three sides. Fans. Solar. Anything you can think of that might possibly be done at some point in the future. Not much work even if its never used but it'll never be easier than now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

One mod i want to do but just can't seem to find the time and energy for is the pivoting couch/bed. This would pivot up in height so you can maximize the room in the camper by putting the bed partly on the shelf below the window instead of next to it. 5-6 inches makes a lot of difference in the camper, especially when more than 2 folks. When down, you can still use it and sit with the top down. Versatile, functional and maximizes space. Plus you still get all the storage under the seat. More when it is in the UP position. My camper is old and has only the thinner cushions on the upper bunk. The thicker cushion on the lower bed is sometimes a lot nicer and more comfy. If in stealth mode with top down and by myself, this is the way to go. There are posts on here somewhere describing it. Really cool.

Other mods I might consider:

-nice, fancy curtains or such to provide privacy when needed, and to block out light. The light is the big problem if you want to be stealth or want that mid day siesta when really tired driving all day.
-reinforced back wall. Man, I am itching to hang the shovel, jack, ax, and some water or fuel back there. (fuel when off road only, of course!) If i could fit a spare tire back there that would be grand.
-wires wires wires. lights, and toys all around. A nice line for Solar would really be nice. Especially if done right without any roof leaks.
-arctic pack. well discussed around these parts
-second ceiling vent. Fan or no fan, would be nice when in the hot parts of the country. Also good as a skylight. sometimes called an anti-condensation device.
-LED lamps. Keep those amphours down as much as possible
-Awning, or at least awning attachment points that are reinforced. left, right, and even rear of camper would really be nice.\
-some kind of rack for top. Hard to lift, but nice when you need that occasional boat, kayak, rocketbox, bikes, and other too large to fit inside crap.
-If I had time to put in built in speakers, I'd probably just live in the camper.

You get the ideas. Hopefully others will chime in. read old posts. Some really good ideas out there.

Dave

#23 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

http://www.milltrail...pexd.asp?id=786

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#24 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Definitely run some wiring.

Since the upper main rail is damaged I am going to check some prices and possibly run 2x6 channel up there instead of what the original stuff is. That leaves tons of room to stuff all kinds of electrical, speaker, etc wire.

Lights on all three sides.

I'll start looking, I have some catalogs from places - any suggestions on specific lights?

Fans.

I figure one up top and one in the middle should do the trick

Solar.

There is quite a bit of room under the overhang upper bed part, a slide out solor panel will fit nicely there. It won't get sun when I am driving but will when parked. Maybe half slide out solar and half slide out drawer for storage.

Anything you can think of that might possibly be done at some point in the future. Not much work even if its never used but it'll never be easier than now.

I don't plan on using staples like factory, I will either use screws or rivets. Either way they will be somewhat removable so if I really wanted to I could take it partially back apart.

Made a dump run today, the only thing left now is the aluminum frame :unsure:

Hoping to raise the window on the side and then squeeze the sink and stove under it. It will all come together once I fit it in my truck.

I gotta check and see what that replacement pop up material is going to cost. Tight on funds right now so it might sit for a little bit till I can find some work to pay for toys :)

#25 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

http://www.milltrailers.com/trailer-parts-accessories/shopexd.asp?id=786

I saw that linked somewhere before, pretty cool. I'm going to make bunk beds though - lower sort of atleast half way stays since it is the wheel well but the upper will swing down. That's the idea so far anyway.

#26 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

There is quite a bit of room under the overhang upper bed part, a slide out solor panel will fit nicely there. It won't get sun when I am driving but will when parked. Maybe half slide out solar and half slide out drawer for storage.

Just keep in mind the whole panel needs to get light so you need to take into account the shadow of the raised pop-up when positioning your rig while camping. If some of the cells catch a shadow it will pretty much render the panel useless.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#27 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

<snip> I'm going to make bunk beds <snip>

B) B) Stinkin' cool.

#28 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

As for outside lights just go with the little porch lights. If you need more light thats what lanterns are for.

Let me know how the ceiling goes. Some of my staples are coming out. Not sure how I want to deal with that yet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#29 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

Let me know how the ceiling goes. Some of my staples are coming out. Not sure how I want to deal with that yet.

Will they go back in and hold okay if pushed back up in? Some of mine were out a bit and when I pushed they back up they held fine for now.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#30 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Down to a bare frame and saving pennies for a spool gun so I can do some welding.

Might be on hold for a week or two but not much longer B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users