• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

I'm not committing until the last minute. Work is crazy right now and Big Bend is *way* off the grid.

It's not out of state :lol: I think simimike and stew getting there Thursday, I'll be there Friday for 4 or 5 days.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#42 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

I'm not committing until the last minute. Work is crazy right now and Big Bend is *way* off the grid.

Hope to see you there, Mark W. The Big Bend is only a short drive from your Texas home!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#43 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

It's not out of state :lol: I think simimike and stew getting there Thursday, I'll be there Friday for 4 or 5 days.

It's a 10 hour drive, and I have to work Friday and Monday, so I would only be coming for the weekend. I can work from anywhere I can get 3G coverage, unless I have to test something in the lab.

#44 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Mark, let me know where/when you will be in UT as the time draws near. Some friends and I may also be in the area . . . Ever been to Toroweep?

Stew, I've been to Toroweep once (15-20 years ago), and it's on my list for return. I posted a few photos from there on my website (third row). While there I did a day-hike down to the River from a nearby trailhead, down to Lava Rapids, and watched a few rafters mount those house-sized piles of water. Yes, I'd like to go back. Posted Image

I will definitely post my Utah Trip Plans as soon as they become less "tentative". Hope to meet you (and others) there or elsewhere before too long.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#45 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

It's a 10 hour drive, and I have to work Friday and Monday, so I would only be coming for the weekend. I can work from anywhere I can get 3G coverage, unless I have to test something in the lab.

Hope to see you at Cottonwood CG on The Big Bend the 22nd, Mark W.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#46 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

I will definitely post my Utah Trip Plans as soon as they become less "tentative". Hope to meet you (and others) there or elsewhere before too long.

Utah is always in my plans, well not so much in the summer, too hot in the canyons. I'd like to get to Goblin Valley N. of Hanksville sometime this Spring.

#47 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

I think Stew and SimiMike will be at Cottonwood on the 20th.

We are currently hiding out in the Chisos Lodge. We did 14 days straight of backroad camping and covered about half the park. Planning to head over to the State park next.
We are limping a bit. Blew out the hand pump at the sink before we even left New England. Been draining water from the back drain into a 5 gal plastic water carrier with faucet. Works rather well placed by sink but eats up space. Draining is real slow (Stan are you listening? I know you have heard this before.). Fridge is acting funny and smells of propane. Might be too much dust from the roads. Using it now as an ice box. Works well but limits the cold beer reserve to dangerously low levels. Will have to overhaul once home. Freeze predicted tonight - hope the back drain does not blow. The Chisos campground water sources are leaking - I don't think they were prepared for the earlier freeze and cracked their pipes. But having a great time. Desert hiking plenty hot - can't imagine being here in the warmer season. Will post pictures later.
Not sure if we will get by Cottonwood again. We had lunch there on the 16th - was wonderfully peaceful and cool.
It is a bit over 50 hours to get back home. We are thinking we will do it in stages and find a few spots to stop at on the way.

#48 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like a great trip except the water/fridge thingies. I just fired up my coleman 12v to load up and head to Cottonwood tomorrow AM. Chiso's Lodge is nice, nice views with dinner at sunset. Sounds like your be heading through Presidio? Balmorrea is a nice visit right off I10, if you head East on 90 there is a nice campground right on the shore of Lake Amistad near Del Rio. If you head North (brrrr) Caprock Canyon SP NE of Lubbock is nice as is Copper Breaks further East near the OK state line. November through February is when I like to visit, I guess it has been up to 80 recently :o Can snow pretty good in the Chisos. Adios!

We are currently hiding out in the Chisos Lodge. We did 14 days straight of backroad camping and covered about half the park. Planning to head over to the State park next.
We are limping a bit. Blew out the hand pump at the sink before we even left New England. Been draining water from the back drain into a 5 gal plastic water carrier with faucet. Works rather well placed by sink but eats up space. Draining is real slow (Stan are you listening? I know you have heard this before.). Fridge is acting funny and smells of propane. Might be too much dust from the roads. Using it now as an ice box. Works well but limits the cold beer reserve to dangerously low levels. Will have to overhaul once home. Freeze predicted tonight - hope the back drain does not blow. The Chisos campground water sources are leaking - I don't think they were prepared for the earlier freeze and cracked their pipes. But having a great time. Desert hiking plenty hot - can't imagine being here in the warmer season. Will post pictures later.
Not sure if we will get by Cottonwood again. We had lunch there on the 16th - was wonderfully peaceful and cool.
It is a bit over 50 hours to get back home. We are thinking we will do it in stages and find a few spots to stop at on the way.

#49 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Stew, Hittheroad, Simimike, and I all made it to and I think, out of Big Bend. I rolled in just after sunset and managed to meet Hittheroad and his lovely wife. They must had seen every corner of the park and I would guess are on the way back to MA!! It was Simimikes' first Big Bend trip, a long haul from LA but worth it I trust. His new name could be "chopper", something to do with dinner prep :o Oldest guy there (by a few months), Stew, did the mega hike out the the Chiso's rim and back, way to go :) . After I left Stew at Cottonwood on Monday I ended up doing two nights at the Croton Springs backcountry site which was a good base for some hiking and some motorcycle exploring of the backcountry. It would also make a great spot for a future WTW campsite, 4 vehicles I think. Anyway photos will be coming along. Hope everyone had a good trip back.

#50 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I hope Mike brought his pencil and all of you brought your cameras.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users