69 replies to this topic

#31 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

The one time I visited Big Bend (and Guadalupe Mts NP), back in 1994, I flew to El Paso and rented a car...which was a great trip, but inhibited real exploring.

Nice desert photos from TX, Mark. It looks stormy atop Guadalupe Peak, though!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#32 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

I sure would like to join this trip, but from central Oregon it's just too far/long a drive for anything but a mega-vacation (which isn't an option right now).
The one time I visited Big Bend (and Guadalupe Mts NP), back in 1994, I flew to El Paso and rented a car...which was a great trip, but inhibited real exploring.

(When-oh-when can I quit my job -- retire -- so I can spend the majority of my time enjoying my time?
The answer: depends on the standard of living I want/need.
And I know I shouldn't whine, should be grateful that I have a good job.)

I recognize the "boot" by Boot Springs up in the Chiso's, haven't been there for awhile. I drove to Central Oregon last summer from down here, but then I'm retired :D I stocked up on Twinkies, hadn't eaten any in decades, now I think I remember why.
I'll cook em in the Dutch oven!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#33 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

I recognize the "boot" by Boot Springs up in the Chiso's, haven't been there for awhile. I drove to Central Oregon last summer from down here, but then I'm retired Posted Image I stocked up on Twinkies, hadn't eaten any in decades, now I think I remember why.

I assume you mean bacon-wrapped (maybe even deep-fried) Twinkies in that Dutch oven? Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#34 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

I stocked up on Twinkies, hadn't eaten any in decades, now I think I remember why.

I'm bringing my new WtW Dutch oven but there ain't going to be no stinkin' twinkies getting near it. Bacon, sure, but no stinkin' twinkies!

Stew

#35 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Oops, my departure has been delayed about 23 hours, Dr appt. I'll still get to Cottonwood Friday the 21st but later in the day.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#36 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Oops, my departure has been delayed about 23 hours, Dr appt. I'll still get to Cottonwood Friday the 21st but later in the day.

I think Stew and SimiMike will be at Cottonwood on the 20th.

Stew

#37 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Barko, Stew, and SimiMike are going to be in The Big Bend of the Rio Grande on the 20th and 21st of Jan. Anybody else interested? It should be in the 70s! There is still time to make your reservations.

Are you coming MarkBC?

Stew

#38 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

Are you coming MarkBC?

No...sigh... Posted Image...but wish I could. :)
Things are busy at work and I took a 2-weeker off in October, and I'm tentatively planning a week+ trip to south/east Utah (which I like even more than Sierra-East...though, unlike Sierra-East, I wouldn't want to live there) in mid-spring, May-ish.

Trying to figure out how soon I can retire with enough $ to be able to afford to fuel my 12 mpg truck to all the places I would go if I had the time!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#39 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

No...sigh... Posted Image...but wish I could. :)
Things are busy at work and I took a 2-weeker off in October, and I'm tentatively planning a week+ trip to south/east Utah (which I like even more than Sierra-East...though, unlike Sierra-East, I wouldn't want to live there) in mid-spring, May-ish.

Trying to figure out how soon I can retire with enough $ to be able to afford to fuel my 12 mpg truck to all the places I would go if I had the time!

Mark, let me know where/when you will be in UT as the time draws near. Some friends and I may also be in the area . . . Ever been to Toroweep?

Stew

#40 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'm not committing until the last minute. Work is crazy right now and Big Bend is *way* off the grid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users