• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Not particularly philisophical, but a cute line "Rudolf the Red knows rain, dear" from MWG

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

One of the greatest discoveries we made after moving to Tucson was the Phoenix by-pass through Gila Bend. Abbey knew what he was talking about when he said "Phoenix, Arizona: an oasis of ugliness in the midst of a beautiful wasteland."

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#34 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this one speaks to me as a finance/econ guy:

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell"

from Desert Solitaire, I believe.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#35 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Bump, time for more Abbey. Spring is around the corner.

"Has joy any survival value in the operations of evolution? I suspect that it does; I suspect that the morose and fearful are doomed to quick extinction. Where there is no joy there can be no courage; and without courage all other virtues are useless." Edward Abbey

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#36 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Bump, time for more Abbey. Spring is around the corner.

"Has joy any survival value in the operations of evolution? I suspect that it does; I suspect that the morose and fearful are doomed to quick extinction. Where there is no joy there can be no courage; and without courage all other virtues are useless." Edward Abbey

Thanks Ski. This is good stuff.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#37 Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

“Gluttony - that's my vice & curse. I want too much of everything. Books... Love... Music... Color & Form... Philosophy... Travel & Adventure... the result of this bestial lust is the indiscriminate and promiscuous splaying of my energies - wanting all, I accomplish nothing; desiring everything, I satisfy nothing and am satisfied by nothing.”

I just started Desert Solitaire this week.

2007 F-350 CCSB 4X4 PSD with ZF6, 2007 Sun Valley Eagle SB

#38 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

"For God's sake, leave this country alone!" - Abbey

"For Abbey's sake, leave this country alone" - God (Bob Waterman)

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 19 November 2013 - 04:19 PM.

I am haunted by waters

#39 SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Glad I found this thread.  One of my all-time favorite authors, if you couldn't tell from my handle.  

"If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the roots of a juniper tree or the wings of a vulture--that is immortality enough for me. And as much as anyone deserves."

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 cummins. 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.  2013 Grandby Silver Spur Shell. 

#40 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Well, this isn't Abbey, but I thought it should be shared somewhere on WTW.

THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP, by Charles Dickens (1840-41)

'One half of it... was carpeted, and so partitioned off at the further end as to accommodate a sleeping-place, constructed after the fashion of a berth on board ship, which was shaded, like the windows, with fair white curtains... The other half served for a kitchen, and was fitted up with a stove whose small chimney passed through the roof. It also held a closet or larder, several chests, a great pitcher of water, and a few cooking-utensils and articles of crockery. These latter necessaries hung upon the walls, which in that portion of the establishment devoted to the lady of the caravan, were ornamented with such gayer and lighter decorations as a triangle and a couple of well-thumbed tambourines.'

Edited by Lighthawk, 07 January 2014 - 07:16 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users