59 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Time to bring back Abbey.................

Is it possible to grow wiser without knowing it? One hopes so. We all hope so.
– Edward Abbey

Beware of the man who has no enemies.
– Edward Abbey

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:16 AM

“Instant communication is not communication at all but merely a frantic, trivial, nerve-wracking bombardment of cliches, threats, fads, fashions, gibberish and advertising.”
Edward Abbey

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#43 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

"The desert will still be here in the spring. And then comes another thought. When I return will it be the same? Will I be the same? Will anything ever be quite the same again? If I return." 

- from Desert Solitaire 

and although not an actual Abbey quote: included in "The Monkey Wrench Gang"

"oh my desert

yours is the only death I cannot bear"

from "Requiem for Sonora" by Richard Shelton

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#44 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

"How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill
your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you
bloody well feel like it."

--Edward Abbey

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#45 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

I don't understand.   Why would anyone want their front porch angry with them?   ^_^

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#46 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:30 AM

One of my favorite authors. Have all of his books.
"Most of my wandering in the desert I have done alone. Not so much by choice as from necessity- I generally prefer to go into places where no one else wants to go....desert solitaire.
Brought home a new 2015 chev 2500 4 x. A week ago. Going tomorrow to look at a 2011 North Star 850 sc....what I have pretty much decided on. Pretty slim pop up picking up here in WA.
Thanks to allofya for all the posts, have learned a lot reading here the last few weeks. Lots more to learn as I go. Will post pics when set up

#47 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:33 AM

I don't understand.   Why would anyone want their front porch angry with them?   ^_^

Paul

I'm late to the party... Your comment was while I was on Lake Powell. That's funny!

I am haunted by waters

#48 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

....... Yeah wow real words of wisdom there!Already posted this elsewhere but this thread would not be complete without it: Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul

This quote was used in a documentary we watched this evening - Damnation - I wanted to read this quote one more time and hope to god my soul doesn't go to ruin.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#49 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

I'm late to the party... Your comment was while I was on Lake Powell. That's funny!

I believe Abbey would call that: "Lake foul."

Thanks for the reminder. It's winter and I'm needing a book to read. Something I already know and love. I don't do a lot of rereading but there are a few exceptions. Every few years I'll reread Wendel Berrys' Memories of old Jack. it's one of my favorites. This time I'll dig out one of my old Abbey's.

Edited by Squatch, 16 December 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#50 whitedog9

whitedog9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Edward Abbey

"Benedicto: May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you -- beyond that next turning of the canyon walls."

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users