• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Here is a suggestion for those who are by passing and waiting til Sept for the replacement. Why not wire in a manual throw switch between the starting batt. and camper batt.

My Phoenix camper came with a solenoid so i was wondering what are its short comings when compared to the Shure Power seperators that are working correctly?
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#32 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

I just spoke with Surepower tech support.

I have a Nissan Frontier with a 110 amp alternator. Their recommendation is to go with the 1314-200 as a better match. The 1314 would be adequate but it would be on the edge, so bigger is better. However, it will require heavier wiring, the posts are bigger, and the ground is bigger. I need to look at the tech specs to find what is required.

I got my 1314 from ATC, so I need to check what my wiring and terminal sizes are.

It makes sense that Surepower is not saying that the 1314-200 is a replacement for the 1314, because in all situations it isn't, it is dependent on the alternator size.

Rob,my 09 Bobcat needed no changes to the wire connections.The1314-200 even though it is a bit larger there was room for it in the battery area.Yes I agree the people at Sure Power don't want to get into recommendations but I just felt some help from them was forthcoming,but I did get the info I needed so it's done, installed,shipped back for refund,FINISHED! The important part is that this was caught before any possible problem.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#33 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have been crawling around trying to find my battery separator. So far no luck.
The FWC manual helpfully suggests that the battery separator is "usually located in the cabinets".
It might be fun (and possibly useful) for those of you who have found separators to share in what unlikely spot you found yours.

#34 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

I just spoke with Surepower tech support.

I have a Nissan Frontier with a 110 amp alternator. Their recommendation is to go with the 1314-200 as a better match. The 1314 would be adequate but it would be on the edge, so bigger is better. However, it will require heavier wiring, the posts are bigger, and the ground is bigger. I need to look at the tech specs to find what is required.

I got my 1314 from ATC, so I need to check what my wiring and terminal sizes are.

It makes sense that Surepower is not saying that the 1314-200 is a replacement for the 1314, because in all situations it isn't, it is dependent on the alternator size.

I think the recommendation of using the 1314-200 is based on using the separator to charge at full alternaor output - which in the case of our campers is all but impossible. Our campers are wired with small enough wiring that unless you rewire the charge curcuit all the way from the truck to the camper battery to MUCH larger cable you can not push enough amps through it to even get close to the 1314-100's capacity.

If you are using the SurePower under the hood of your truck to charge a second battery that is conected with big battery cables and you have a 100+ amp alternator the 1314-200 is probably what you want. But if you only have a 6 or 8 gauge wire running back to your camper, charging off a 30 to 40 amp fuse or breaker - you just do not need the capacity of the 1314-200. You can't push more than 40 amps past your fuse to the separator anyway....
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#35 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

I have been crawling around trying to find my battery separator. So far no luck.
The FWC manual helpfully suggests that the battery separator is "usually located in the cabinets".
It might be fun (and possibly useful) for those of you who have found separators to share in what unlikely spot you found yours.

Look where the battery is located.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#36 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

You didn't happen to mention what camper you have.

I have a FWC Hawk 2008 model. It was located in the cabinets (lower right hand side below the thermostadt)....with one screw hidden under the lid over the water tank. You have to remove the lid to the water tank to see it. I also had to remove the small flip down door in order to slide that piece of wood out. Maybe some pics would help.

battery separator with ground bar - labeled with solar wires.JPG

under_cabinet.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#37 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

You didn't happen to mention what camper you have.

I have a FWC Hawk 2008 model. It was located in the cabinets (lower right hand side below the thermostadt)....with one screw hidden under the lid over the water tank. You have to remove the lid to the water tank to see it. I also had to remove the small flip down door in order to slide that piece of wood out. Maybe some pics would help.

battery separator with ground bar - labeled with solar wires.JPG

under_cabinet.JPG

Thank you Leadsled. Pictures always better than words. My guess is mine is in roughly the same place but getting there may be a bit harder than it was for you. I have an 2009 Eagle with some relatively new (for then) options they were just trying out. I will have to dig out the screw driver.

#38 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Thank you Leadsled. Pictures always better than words. My guess is mine is in roughly the same place but getting there may be a bit harder than it was for you. I have an 2009 Eagle with some relatively new (for then) options they were just trying out. I will have to dig out the screw driver.

In my 2008 Eagle, the battery and separator were in the storage area under the couch on the passenger side. When the dinette conversion was done, both were moved to the front storage area. Hope you find your elusive separator without too much trouble.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#39 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

I think the recommendation of using the 1314-200 is based on using the separator to charge at full alternaor output - which in the case of our campers is all but impossible. Our campers are wired with small enough wiring that unless you rewire the charge curcuit all the way from the truck to the camper battery to MUCH larger cable you can not push enough amps through it to even get close to the 1314-100's capacity.

If you are using the SurePower under the hood of your truck to charge a second battery that is conected with big battery cables and you have a 100+ amp alternator the 1314-200 is probably what you want. But if you only have a 6 or 8 gauge wire running back to your camper, charging off a 30 to 40 amp fuse or breaker - you just do not need the capacity of the 1314-200. You can't push more than 40 amps past your fuse to the separator anyway....

Thanks Mr.UglyScout. I understand the info you stated and realize the 1314-200 is more than we need.BUT I needed something to use as a replacement and not being able to wait until Sept. nor wanting to just wire both batteries together I went with Jim's recommendation. It seems to work with no problems,charges the house battery with the reefer in 12v mode.

Frank

#40 fourwheeltom

fourwheeltom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Four Wheel is working closely with Cooper Bussman on the best way to handle the recall of Cooper Bussmann's products. We are discussing with Cooper Bussman the specific directions and procedures to follow. We have noticed on message boards comments about how a person could on his/her own rectify the matter. Please do not take any action on your own. Please wait until we can provide accurate information for each of you on what to do. Any unauthorized attempt to service, repair, or dismantle the separator could void any and all warranties. Do not attempt to (i) open any cabinet panels, (ii) rewire any aspect of the electrical system, (iii) remove the separator, (iv) install a solenoid, or (v) take any action that modifies the equipment from its original condition. Doing any of the foregoing could damage or destroy your vehicle computer and place you and others at risk for injury. Thank you for your patience, and we will contact you very soon. Tom Hanagan, President, Four Wheel campers, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users