• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

I have been wanting a FWC or ATC  for quite a while now.  The hold back was my concerns about the weight.  I went with a Flippac because at #290 it was great for the Tacoma. We used it for 18 months, building it out as needs dictated.  Fridge, furnace, fresh water system , storage, solar - you get the idea.

My only problem was climbing over the tailgate getting in and out- it sucks when your half way through life with a bum back.  We tried many times to incorporate  visits to FWC and ATC in our travels but it just didn't work out. A local FWC dealer is now in SoCal 40 mins from our house so my brother and I went for a drive to look at the campers.  I was impressed by the roominess, warm use of interior color and fabrics. Yes I knew it was just wall paper and paperbacked veneer covering some ply but I'm looking at what's under it.  

A good base of 3/4 ply, aluminum structure, I wasn't interested in the variety of options because I'm "handy" as my friends say.  For those that want it turn key it's available but give me a blank canvas.  My wife called me to see what I found out and I told her that if she was with us we would have bought it.  The fact that it's "only 300lbs" more than our Flippac sold it for me because I'm going to put the same crap inside.  I know well the debate on truck size but a Tacoma is what I have and what I love, it's my toy to build as I want/need. 

We took delivery on Wednesday , January 15th from American RV Company in Azusa.  I could not resist  the temptation to take the rest of the day off and go over the camper with a fine tooth comb.

P1030282.JPG P1030291.JPG

To be continued...

Edited by Captm, 25 January 2014 - 04:11 AM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

Congrats on your new camper and looking forward to what you do with the interior and where you travel. Safe travels! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

Nothing At All Wrong With That, And It Looks Great On The Taco!

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

Congrats, Captm!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

Nice! I think you're going to have fun making it the way you want it!

I am haunted by waters

#6 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

I made my punch list of a few quality control items that I wanted to pass on to FWC. Nothing to stop me from digging in on the project Saturday morning, the start of a 3 day weekend.

One item that I feel is a production item is the dead bolt lock. It does not engage fully do to the vertical section of the frame of the shell blocking it. The bolt goes in less that 3/16th of an inch - the full throw of the bolt is 7/8 of an inch which when it is secured.  I've been told this is "common on RVs " but  I fairly certain I bought  a FWC not an "RV".  So you change your cut list of materials, change your jig and make four more welds.

strike plate 1.jpg Jamb1.jpg Dead Bolt 2.jpg dead bolt.jpg

I already have a 26 gallon water tank in my Tacoma along with a Group 31 Sears marine battery and the associated electrical components.  A 1/2" water hose and 6ga duplex wire run back to the rear passenger corner of the bed.

To do list:

1. Replace the wiring and connectors with marine grade products.

2. Install the 130w Kyocera solar panel

3. Install Thetford curve porta pottie

4. Install the sink, water pump, and volume tank

5. Install the TF 65 reefer

6. Install propex heater

7. Install lift struts

8. Frame out for storage and drawers

Saturday morning arrives and first thing to do is remove the interior panels to access the wiring.

To be continued....

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi CaptM,

Adding my congrats,,,,Now the fun begins,,,It sounds like you have lots more building skills than I do, so look forward to seeing the pictures of your build out over the coming months, as I'm always "tweaking" my Eagle with all the good ideas I get from you all.

Will we see your rig at Sugarloaf owners rally  the end of April?

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

I have been wanting a FWC or ATC  for quite a while now.  The hold back was my concerns about the weight.  I went with a Flippac because at #290 it was great for the Tacoma. We used it for 18 months, building it out as needs dictated.  Fridge, furnace, fresh water system , storage, solar - you get the idea.

My only problem was climbing over the tailgate getting in and out- it sucks when your half way through life with a bum back.  We tried many times to incorporate  visits to FWC and ATC in our travels but it just didn't work out. A local FWC dealer is now in SoCal 40 mins from our house so my brother and I went for a drive to look at the campers.  I was impressed by the roominess, warm use of interior color and fabrics. Yes I knew it was just wall paper and paperbacked veneer covering some ply but I'm looking at what's under it.  

A good base of 3/4 ply, aluminum structure, I wasn't interested in the variety of options because I'm "handy" as my friends say.  For those that want it turn key it's available but give me a blank canvas.  My wife called me to see what I found out and I told her that if she was with us we would have bought it.  The fact that it's "only 300lbs" more than our Flippac sold it for me because I'm going to put the same crap inside.  I know well the debate on truck size but a Tacoma is what I have and what I love, it's my toy to build as I want/need. 

We took delivery on Wednesday , January 15th from American RV Company in Azusa.  I could not resist  the temptation to take the rest of the day off and go over the camper with a fine tooth comb.

attachicon.gifP1030282.JPGattachicon.gifP1030291.JPG

To be continued...

This is great, CaptM.   After seeing your Tacoma and flippac in Valley of Fire, I will enjoy following along your build.

I was impressed with what you have done to the Taco, so I know the camper build will be top notch.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Congrats - you're going to have a great time with that thing. FYI I did not fall in love with the door/lock either, but my local FWC dealer did a great troubleshooting and improving it. You've got one nearby it sounds like, and they might be able to help.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Handy? I think I'm handy and thats more project than I'd take on. Congrats on your purchase. I often find myself at odds with people who don't like some of the stuff FWC uses "hey, they should make the cabinets out of mahogany" and such. I'm much more in favor of keeping the cost and weight down, however, I'm with you on the wiring. It would add no weight and not much cost to use marine grade components there. That said I haven't had an issue with mine yet. Just not how I would do it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users