76 replies to this topic

#11 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Captain,

Your pictures of the lock made me curious so I took a look at my 2012 Hawk.

x8lLtsF.jpg

My dead bolt has the full 1" throw and the interior frame has been notched.

kFFGAIF.jpg

Also it appears my door frame lip is on the inside facing the door while while yours is on the outside?

8nDMNGr.jpg

As far as interior trim materials, I wouldn't call it paper or wall paper. Mine has held up fine, the only damage inflicted by me with a heavy cooler on the radius corner by the entry. I have the chip and its not paper. Could it be better, sure but at what cost?

Will be following your build and congratulations.

Edited by rotti, 25 January 2014 - 09:25 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#12 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hello all, thanks for the congrats and comments.  Looking at all the different mods everyone has posted really helped in my plans.  I'm sure many of you will recognize your ideas.

Handy? I think I'm handy and thats more project than I'd take on. Congrats on your purchase. I often find myself at odds with people who don't like some of the stuff FWC uses "hey, they should make the cabinets out of mahogany" and such. I'm much more in favor of keeping the cost and weight down, however, I'm with you on the wiring. It would add no weight and not much cost to use marine grade components there. That said I haven't had an issue with mine yet. Just not how I would do it.

It definitely about keeping costs and weight down.  Funny I am using mahogany ply - ;) Jobert Okoume to be precise.  Very strong, light weight but not cheap!  From what I've seen of the ply that FWC is using I have no complaints.  I have not come across any voids in the layers, it's straight, and light weight what more can you ask for?  I just happen to have the Mahogany from my Flippac build and most likely use some of the factory ply as well.

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to finish it, but I'm leaning towards using the same wall covering and veneer that is already in use.

joubert2.jpg

Cheers

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#13 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Captain,

Your pictures of the lock made me curious so I took a look at my 2012 Hawk.

x8lLtsF.jpg

My dead bolt has the full 1" throw and the interior frame has been notched.

kFFGAIF.jpg

Also it appears my door frame lip is on the inside facing the door while while yours is on the outside?

8nDMNGr.jpg

As far as interior trim materials, I wouldn't call it paper or wall paper. Mine has held up fine, the only damage inflicted by me with a heavy cooler on the radius corner by the entry. I have the chip and its not paper. Could it be better, sure but at what cost?

Will be following your build and congratulations.

Hi Rotti ,

Your lock set up looks a lot more secure.  I wonder if FWC changed the way they do it to  cut down on production time?

I'm not complaining about the use of wallpaper and paper backed veneer- it works.  I really like the wall covering it appears to be water resistant and pretty forgiving on the abuse it will take.  I know the veneer in mine is paper backed, I guess they changed in the past year or so.

Veneer.JPG

Not a great pic, still learning how to post :wacko:

Cheers

Edited by Captm, 25 January 2014 - 10:45 PM.

2014 Fleet shell

#14 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Guess new and improved isn't always better?

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#15 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Congrats. Keep the pictures coming as the build progresses.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#16 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Hi CaptM,

Adding my congrats,,,,Now the fun begins,,,It sounds like you have lots more building skills than I do, so look forward to seeing the pictures of your build out over the coming months, as I'm always "tweaking" my Eagle with all the good ideas I get from you all.

Will we see your rig at Sugarloaf owners rally  the end of April?

Hi Jim,

Yes we have the rally on our calendar.

Cheers

2014 Fleet shell

#17 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

Looking forward to your build, mine is still on hold. I will be at the Sugarloaf Rally with my Hawk done or not.  :unsure:

Remember take lots of pictures, we love pictures.

Bill

Edited by billharr, 26 January 2014 - 02:08 AM.

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

You've got a mahogany ply thats as light and cheap as anything else? Cool. Btw, I chose mahogany by random, could as easily have said cherry or walnut or whatnot. I had serious issues with a heavy camper (honestly, I thought it might kill me) and nothing has changed since I got my FWC, I still appreciate the light weight. Its probably the most important thing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

You've got a mahogany ply thats as light and cheap as anything else? Cool. Btw, I chose mahogany by random, could as easily have said cherry or walnut or whatnot. I had serious issues with a heavy camper (honestly, I thought it might kill me) and nothing has changed since I got my FWC, I still appreciate the light weight. Its probably the most important thing.

I just thought it was funny by coincidence that you picked mahogany as an example.  :D  Jobert is light, cheap definitely not .  I agree with you on the weight - that's why I went with the shell.

Cheers

2014 Fleet shell

#20 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Looking forward to your build, mine is still on hold. I will be at the Sugarloaf Rally with my Hawk done or not.  :unsure:

Remember take lots of pictures, we love pictures.

Bill

Sorry to hear about your fingers, glad to read that the healing is coming along.  I've been following you build with great interest!

Cheers

2014 Fleet shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users