• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dorado_33

Dorado_33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

I will be relocating to the south next summer and I am looking at having an air conditioner installed. Pro and Cons from anyone

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

Cons: Noisy, needs electricity.

Depends on where in the south you camp. In the Smokies and southern Appalachians it usually cools off enough at night that a fan will do on the warmest ones.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 Dorado_33

Dorado_33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

I am speaking of Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee.....

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Locally I camp mostly in N GA and the Smokies and it's not too bad at night most of the time. At lower elevations it can be miserably hot and humid. Keep in mind that anything mounted on the roof will have to be raised and lowered time after time whether it is used or not.

Edited by Stalking Light, 11 October 2014 - 03:37 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have a small window unit in my Hawk installed by the previous owner, I think it's 4 or 5k BTU, it does a good job and it has a very low noise level . I don't mind the daytime heat, but I like a good nights sleep and if you're going camping in the south(Texas for me) in the summer, it helps. I prefer not using it and once the cool weather gets here the cover stays on till next summer, but it's sure nice when the heat and humidity are up.

#6 raymondmom

raymondmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

I love my factory installed AC unit!  We are not used to humidity and camping in Louisiana and Tennessee was very different from camping in Southern California.  You do need electricity, but it is not noisy and worked well enough that we stopped sweating.  It also has a fan that we liked to use at night.  I had to close the top vent because rain was coming in.

2006 F 150 4x4 SuperCab 

#7 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:41 AM

Mine just crapped out in my 2010 hawk. Only used it twice. ): I will be replacing with window.

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

As stalking Light said, you will need electricity.  I have a Grandby with front dinette, so the wall A/C was not an option.  I purchase a 7000 BTU unit that I exhaust out the turnbuckle opening.  It takes up some room, but when I stop where there is a hook-up and it is hot it does the job.  Go to my Longhorn Build post and you can find some photos. 

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I wanted to add to my post above that the thermal pack is a big plus with the A/C.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users