keystone build remodel

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:25 PM

Well since I am temporarily unemployed and it is really nice outside time to start a remodel! I am coming up on 1 year of owning the Keystone. While it is mostly original form 86 it was a little rough and needed some love. The fridge, heater, and side cabinets had been removed so rebuilding those areas are the main focus. 

Before

Interior Before
Looking in before

Goals of the build are:
- Light, modular, with lots of storage options

- Adding a diesel heater

- Adding parter stove (able to cook inside and outside) or putting the stove/oven combo back

- New floor

- Figuring out a way to keep the couch in one piece while driving

- Upgrading the electric system

- Headliner / roof lining 

After

Interior after

Looking in after

Since I have loads of free time right now, but limited income, I think my priority is going to be installing a new floor. Got a few hours of scrapping glue off from the old vinyl floor and carpeted sides!  

#2 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:06 AM

m.r.h. welcome to the build/renovation world! 

If I may quote Scott Brady from over on Expedition Portal, "Spend your money on your travels, not on your equipment". You may have noticed on my build, I also wanted the option to cook both inside and outside so I have a Primus Profile stove (Craigslist new $50). A Partner stove retails around $300? Since my idea of "four seasons" camping includes Texas and not the snow of my home state of Colorado, I will be using a Mr. Heater Buddy to take the chill off. (Craigslist used $40). Depending on where and when you anticipate using a heater may make the diesel heater a good choice. My bottom line would echo Scott Brady, it is some times tempting to buy the cool next best greatest innovation that the crowd is buying, but always keep in mind what the options are and what they cost.

Boonie

#3 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:34 AM

I try to balance spending money on the travel and equipment. I already have loads of gear so won't really be buying anything new. The Partner stove is part of my river kitchen so it will do double duty. A heater won't get used much but will motivate getting out more in the winter. I got a cheap Chinese diesel heater off amazon ($150). Don't anticipate using it that much but it gets cold in Oregon. 

Boonie I am really excited to see how your build turns out!

#4 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:25 AM

Spend a day with my heat gun scraping old glue off the floor spent a few hours painting the floor to cover up the exposed wood. 

Huge sigh of relieve to have no real major floor damage. A few weird spots from who ever had modified the the floor pack but it should be good to go. Trying to decide what color and type of flooring to go with. Probably some grey laminate or something. Once things are dry it will just be a couple yoga mats to keep things clean. 

Floor Prep

#5 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:07 AM

Very nice mrh!

Man, a 4 burner stove with oven.  Think only the Keystone got those.

I hope you keep it.

#6 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:04 PM

Yes the 4 burner with oven is luxury living right there. I wish it didn't work so I could justify scraping it. It takes up lots of storage space, but is great for making cookies and cake while on the move. We will see what I end up doing with it. 

#7 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

Do what everybody else does.  Use the oven for storage space.

Friend of mine keeps a couple dishpans in the oven with odds & ends in them. Pull the dish pans out when you have to use the oven.

Don't forget to turn the pilot off when done.  Friend forgot once.  It melted one of his dish pans.

#8 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:15 AM

Trying to decide what flooring to use. Anyone have opinions on vinyl vs laminate vs plank vs glue down stuff?

IMG 8113
IMG 8110

#9 villageidiot

villageidiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:08 AM

I prefer a vinyl sheet to a plank/tile

I used glue down in my last 2 camper vans.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:31 AM

Has mid-grade 1/8" thick vinyl plank in my Hawk.  It kept coming apart and heat/cold distorted it.

Current PUMA build use 1/2" fibreglass glued to the floor with 1/2" subflooring glued to it, and luxury grade vinyl sheet on top, stuck to the subfloor on 2 sides with double sided tape, and floating on the other edges to it can expand/contract.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keystone, build, remodel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users